Friday, September 25, 2009

Book 4: Torrie's Pick.

I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to read next, so after thinking it over and staring at my piles of books, I decided to have someone else pick. I ended up asking my little sister Torrie to choose the next book for me. And since she is a freshman in college, I gave her a homework assignment and asked her to tell me why she picked the book she did.

This is what Torrie chose and why:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.This is probably one of my favorite novels. It is wonderfully written and since I'm a sucker for romance stories, it took a hold of me. I became sort of obsessed with the relationship between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth; that at first they strongly disliked each other, but over time they grew to love one another. Now who wouldn't be obsessed with that? But what really gets me in this novel is that when Austen wrote Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, she wrote them as two people who looked for love. They lived in a time where money and staus were everything, and yet they did not care about any of that.”

Its true that Torrie is a sucker for romance. Whenever I am thinking of a book to recommend to her, that is always top on the list of requirements. I can’t really blame her, I like a good romance too.

She chose a good book and one of my favorites as well. I’ve read Pride and Prejudice a few times and I love the newer film version with Kiera Knightley (That's where the picture comes from). And before anyone asks, no, I haven’t seen the version with Colin Firth and yes, I know I need to.

I want to point out Torrie’s last two lines. That is one the reasons why I love this book as well. Who doesn’t love a story where the characters go against convention and look for love instead? This also seems to tie in well with the previous book (A Room with a View by E.M. Forster), which, if you love Pride and Prejudice, you’ll also love. I promise.

I have actually already started this and am moving along. Reading Austen is like visiting a friend you haven’t seen in awhile.

Its new, refreshing, and makes you laugh like old times as you relive memories.

Torrie, you did a good job on your homework.

A+

And a gold star.

2 comments:

  1. Aww yay, I get a gold star, haha.
    I love being in this blog, so cool.
    But have fun reading this wonderful book :) I'm excited for your reviews on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Allie! It's HOOOOOLIETA!!!! I must say, Torrie picked a good book. I love your blog by the way! You write beautifully and it is interesting to read. :) Oh, and I also LOVE the book To Kill A Mockingbird so you should read that one very soon!

    ReplyDelete