Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book 7 Part 1: Hobbits and Sickness.

It’s not that I didn’t want to write a new post, it’s more along the line of “life took over” for a bit. Coupled with a busy few days and what I am terming, “the death cold” I am finally writing an entry that should have been written a few days ago!

Truth be told, you didn’t miss much. Since I am sick (with the worst cold ever—perhaps I am exaggerating), I haven’t been reading much. I have had a headache that simply won’t go away and my eyes can’t seem to focus on the pages in front of me.

That being said, I am reading something. I’m in the middle of The Fellowship of the Ring, the first in The Lord of the Rings (On my list, the LOTR is listed as one book, so I am actually going to read all three volumes back to back, even though it only counts as one off my master list). I have read LOTR many times before and I know the movies almost by heart, so it’s really like visiting an old friend. I am especially enjoying all the hobbits and the scenes that take place in the Shire before Frodo and boys leave for Rivendell. In the film version, the action really gets moving so you don’t get to spend as much time learning about the hobbits and their quirks.

You also miss out on the amazing character in Tom Bombadil in the movies. Peter Jackson simply couldn’t put in more film when the movies were already 4 hours and up. However, Tom Bombadil is the one thing sorely lacking in the film. He’s hilarious and well-written.

For example, here is a snippet of the song he sings:

“Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster,” (180).


I just like picturing a big old man with huge yellow boots bounding over the hills. It makes me chuckle.

It is also interesting to see how the characters are described in the book as to how they are interpreted in the film version. For instance, Frodo is over 50 when he leaves the Shire with the Ring, whereas in the film little Elijah Wood plays him and he appears much more youthful.

I happen to be right at the part where the four hobbits and Strider (later called Aragorn) reach Rivendell after being pursued by the Black Riders. Its one of my favorite scenes and I can’t wait to curl up with it and get to Moria with the Fellowship.

And if that didn’t make sense to you it means you haven’t read the books or seen the movies. Which you need to do. Now.

I have a lot more to say about the hobbits and these books in general, but I don’t think little sick me should push it. Until tomorrow…happy reading.

1 comment:

  1. I think I must be the only person who has not read the books or seen the movies. I think for now, I will experience them through your eyes on your blog. Thanks Allie. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete