Thursday, October 14, 2010

Book 59: Villette and Book Stats.

Title: Villette
Author: Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855)

First Published: 1853
My Edition: Barnes and Noble Classics
Pages: 571

Other Works Include: Jane Eyre (1847), Shirley (1849)

I should say right off the bat that I haven't read Jane Eyre, and until this point the only other Bronte work I have read is Wuthering Heights. I chose to read this title first for a couple of reasons.

First, I have a definite feeling that I will really love Jane Eyre and so I wanted to "save it" until near the end of my challenge. Second, I don't want this novel to pale in comparison. I have heard mixed things about Villette, so I want to generate my own thoughts.

If Charlotte is anything like Emily, I know I will enjoy this. But, I have also heard that in some ways she is a little more talented than Emily, so who knows. I don't know a great deal about the Brontes, truth be told, but the little I do know is fascinating. Poor Anne is not on my list, but eventually I will have to give her a try as well.

In any case, its time to read another heavyweight and get another title ticked off!

4 comments:

  1. I love your argument for reading Vilette before Jane Eyre. I have not read Vilette and I have read Jane Eyre. I wonder if I will regret that decision once I get around to Vilette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh man. This book has been on my shelf for maybe 5 years, and I just can't make it past the first few pages. I loved Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, though. I'm excited to see what you think- maybe it will convince me to suck it up and read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Anne at the moment, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and read Agnes Grey earlier this year. She's probably my favorite Bronte, you should definitely give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sadness! This one isn't on my list either. I'm thinking maybe I should do 250 and extend the time limit. There are so many, Allie. So many I want to read. I know you (and many, many others) know what I mean.

    I prefer Charlotte to Emily, but I wouldn't for a second say she's more talented. The sisters are different, but each is a master, imho. Anne is on my list, but I haven't gotten to her yet.

    I look forward to your thoughts on this novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete