Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Three Musketeers Readalong Post 1: Chapters 1-29.

Welcome to post 1 of 2 for the readalong of Alexandre Dumas’ The Three Musketeers hosted here at A Literary Odyssey. This post covers the first half of the book (roughly 300 or so pages depending on your edition), or the first 29 chapters.

This is only the second novel by Dumas that I have read. I have read The Count of Monte Cristo twice and have loved it intensely both times. So why did I wait so long to pick up another novel by Dumas? I think we can all be intimidated by the length in Dumas’ works. The Count of Monte Cristo is truly a brick of a book (my edition is over 1000 pages), and so are many of Dumas’ other novels. Sometimes when it comes to a choice between a 200 and a 600 page book, my sanity meter kicks in and I pick the shorter read.

But, halfway through The Three Musketeers, I feel like I am reading a quick novel. The pace never lets up. Each page has action and drama. I am sucked in to the world of the musketeers and D’Artagnan. Their swords crash constantly and there is never a dull moment.

When I first started, I was a little wary. Our main character, D’Artagnan, is introduced from the beginning a young (and kind of foolish) man who seemed to draw his sword at every little insult. I was put off by him at first and couldn’t believe that Dumas would craft such a silly character.

As the novel went on and I was introduced to more of the main characters (mainly the three musketeers: Athos, Porthos, and Aramis) I was drawn in to the action and liveliness of D’Artagnan. He wasn’t silly anymore, just chivalrous and young. Soon, I found myself beginning to fall in love with the romantic sweep of the novel.

Because at its very core, this is a fun novel and I need some of that fun in my life. While the novel certainly explores some deep things-like murder, treason, etc-it is done in a way that I am constantly entertained. Each of the four main characters makes me smile in their own way and seem to dance off the page. I love their banter, and their need to constantly draw their swords. It is fun, light-hearted, and not at all what I expected.

I will say that the only fault I find in the novel is the main characters lack of...morals? There is constant repetition of the fact that they borrow money from others, steal, and gamble. I understand some of it, but it has gotten to be a little much (particularly the scene with Athos trapped in the cellar of that poor innkeeper). However, it is not enough to prevent me from really enjoying the story, and that is what matters.

The story is progressing and while 300 or so pages have passed, I am still anxious to see what happens. So far our heroes have killed numerous men, rescued gems from England, and been wounded. We have also learned a bit about each of their mysterious pasts and the lives of our musketeers are slowly being unfolded. I, for one, cannot wait to see what happens.

If you are participating in the readalong, please comment here and leave a link to your post so I can link it here. Make sure you check back often so you can visit other participants and see their thoughts (that’s what makes a readalong fun!).

I will see you back here on March 31 for the second half of the book!

All for one and one for all!

Falaise

Bookworm1858

Karen

L.L.

tasseled

Amy

Bex

Amy-Lit Quest (Not a participant, but wrote a GREAT post!)


13 comments:

  1. Hi Allie,

    I'm glad you're loving it. I'm re-reading it and I've had different reaction than I expected.

    My post is at:

    http://2606books.blogspot.com/2011/03/2569-1001-books-challenge-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't quite finish for today (only through chapter 26) but I'm definitely not enjoying this as much as Count of Monte Cristo. The morals of these "honorable" men are awful and the politics were a bit confusing although I think I have somewhat sorted that out.

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their morals are a little questionable, aren't they? I was really appalled by all the gambling and revenge. I'm not taking it too seriously though. I'm kind of appalled by kid's books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It used to really bother me until my daughter explained that the main character does what everyone wants to do but nobody does because they know it's wrong. It made me feel a little better. I'm sort of taking that viewpoint for the Three Musketeers.

    Which I'm really enjoying, by the way! I've posted my review this morning:

    http://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/03/three-musketeers-part-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like to read originals like this one...and compare to the Hollywoodified and Disneyfied versions...sounds like the original may be quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is my post: http://thestorygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/three-musketeers-by-alexandre-dumas.html

    It is different than I expected! I was expecting something more serious like The Count of Monte Cristo. Still, I am starting to get used to the musketeers and their crazy ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not taking their immoral ways seriously, so did Dumas I believe. Great book, looking forward to the second part!

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this last year and I agree with you on the morals. That bothered me when I read it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Allie! Thanks for hosting this. I enjoyed reflecting on the story and hearing people's various reactions. I'll keep checking in with all of you to hear about the second half!

    My thoughts: http://thelitquest.blogspot.com/2011/03/three-musketeers.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post makes me think of when I read Confessions of a Shopaholic--it was funny, but I couldn't handle all of her lying, even though I know it was all just meant to be fun. I read this about a year ago, but I can't remember if the lack of morals bugged me or not. I do remember that it was quite a page-turner and provided a lot of laughs. Have fun finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say I agree with lots of what other people are saying! My post is here
    Sorry it's late!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not currently reading The Three Musketeers, but I remember really enjoying it when I read it--fast paced fun. I really need to get back to reading Dumas again, I was going to last year and got side tracked. Enjoy the second half!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allie, thanks for including me! I really do enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too found this a quick read. I wanted to know what was going to happen. But as a whole, I was disappointed -- it just didn't have enough "umph" in it. I do hope you enjoy it more, though.

    ReplyDelete