Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Book Quotes.

I wasn't originally sure if I was going to participate this week or not, but well, I couldn't help it. I love a good quote from a book, so this week's list was right up my alley (and it's been a couple weeks since I last participated).

I decided to go with some of my all-time favorites, and this list took a lot of time to narrow down. Here it goes (in no particular order....because trying to rank these would make this even more difficult):

1. “Don't you ever mind," she asked suddenly, "not being rich enough to buy all the books you want?” -The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

2. “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.” -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

3. “In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. 
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.” -The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. "Muse-Start from where you will-sing for our time too." -The Odyssey by Homer (I have a shortened version of this tattooed on my foot)

5. "I exist as I am, that is enough." -"Song of Myself" in Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

6. “Reader, I married him.” -Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

7. “I always want to know the things one shouldn't do."
"So as to do them?" asked her aunt.
"So as to choose." said Isabel” -The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

8. “I am not imposed upon by fine words; I can see what actions mean.” -The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

9. “Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.” -David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (I need to reread this one)

10. “I want to put my hand out and touch you. I want to do for you and care for you. I want to be there when you're sick and when you're lonesome.” -Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

7 comments:

  1. Those are great. I've always been intimidated by Henry James but I do want to read Portrait someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!! I like the HP one and also Walt Whitman. Have a great week!!
    http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-book-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mill on the Floss is one of my favorites, and one of the two books most responsible for stoking my love for classic literature (the other is The Mayor of Casterbridge). And I love the quote you chose from it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. 3 is my favorite too! And no. 7 made me want to reread The Portrait of a Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nearly put that Jane Eyre quote on mine too, but I couldn't pick which quote from the book I wanted, so I didn't use any of them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list of quotes! I love Ethan Frome, and I think you used a great quote from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your quotes! I've never read David Copperfield before, but I'm familiar with that quote from it. I'll have to read it someday soon!

    ReplyDelete