Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"A Modern March" Announcement and Sign-up Post.

It has been quite some time since I have hosted a Classics themed event on the blog, and that dry spell is coming to an end in March!

I'm really excited to announce "A Modern March," a literary event focusing on the Modernist period. The event will begin on March 1 and end on March 31. The goal will be to read and focus on Modernist pieces of literature and learn more about that era.

To be perfectly honest, this is a literary movement I am not as comfortable with. While I have read Woolf (love her), Faulkner (love him), and a few selections from other Modern writers, I'm not as comfortable with their work as a whole. This is the perfect opportunity to remedy that!

If you have no idea what constitutes a piece of "Modern" literature (and whenever I say Modern, I don't mean contemporary lit), it generally refers to literature written between the very late 19th century and the halfway point of the 20th century. In general, Modernist writers experimented with style, form, and theme. They broke away from the traditional viewpoints found in literature until that point and strove to focus on the darker and more unpleasant sides of life. This is also the time period where stream-of-consciousness made its roaring appearance.

Some of the big writers of the Modernist period were:
  • William Faulkner
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Ezra Pound
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Ernest Hemingway
  • Samuel Beckett
  • Gertrude Stein
  • e e cummings
  • T.S.Eliot
  • James Joyce
There are more, of course, but those are the heavy hitters of the period and those most closely associated with the movement.

To participate, please put up a post on your blog stating your intentions, then link it back here on the Mr. Linky widget. Starting on March 1, begin reading your Modernist literature selections. There will be a master post here for you to link your reviews throughout the month, and there will be a prize at the end of the event. I also have a sponsored giveaway for a new edition of Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise that will happen at some point during the month!

I hope you're as excited as I am-make sure you sign up!



Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Auto-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

43 comments:

  1. I feel special being the first one to sign up! I am really looking forward to this. Thank you so much for hosting. We should do a readathon to kick off the month. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this period!!!! I took a Modernism class in grad school and it was transcendent and fabulous. Would love any excuse to dig back into this period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in, I'll definitely be reading Garden of Eden by Hemingway but I may add a few others. Would William's Cat on a Hot Tin Roof be considered "Modern" lit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely want to do this! I have Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and Damned to read and also Mrs Dalloway :-) I'll write my post once the babys in bed tonight! You always have such great events!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I'm in! P.S. There's a little something extra in the mail for you, with the 2 books I sent you on Saturday. I knew you were going to be hosting this event, so I sent along something that I hope might be helpful/useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for excuse to tackle several of these authors so this is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to this one, Allie. I shall write my post in the next few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in! Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Woolf - what can be better! Thanks for hosting Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need something to make me sit down and read these authors and this challenge should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely tempted to do this, but I don't know whether I'll have the time. I was going to focus on my half-finished books, but then again... I guess I could read at least one (yes, edition of Mrs. Dalloway that stares at me from your place in my bookshelves, I mean you).

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, this is going to be my first reading challenge of this sort, and I'm very much looking forward to it!

    I'm setting aside D.H. Lawrence, Virginia Woolf, and T.S. Elliot for the occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm thinking of hosting a read-along of "The Waste Land and Other Porms" by T.S. Eliot. Seems to be quite a few people planning to read him...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to do a read-along of The Waste Land. I don't know that I'll be actually joining Modern March, since I'm rather busy with school work and don't want to commit just yet, but I'm always up for some Eliot.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like fun! There are several modernist works that I have been wanting to read for years and never got around to. Hope I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Count me in! I'll be reading As I Lay Dying and one other work to be determined!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After recently becoming completely obsessed with the lure of The Lost Generation, I took A Farewell To Arms out of the library. Looking forward to reading that and a few of the other authors listed above for A Modern March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Farewell to Arms is the book that made me fall in love with Hemingway. It's still probably my favorite, though Garden of Eden comes very close.

      Delete
  17. I am looking forward to this event and reading some of Gertrude Stein.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not officially participating. But may pick up a novel or two. I think it's awesome that your hosting this and I hope you like A Farewell to Arms. It's one of my favorite novels of all time. I just love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was planning to read more Hemingway so this event is perfect :). I'm going to read The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms and finally To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, because I just love her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great topic to focus my reading on next month. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm looking forward to March now. Going to finally tackle some Faulkner. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for hosting, Allie - looking forward to this event.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I must confess. I'm not too sure about modernism, and I rather like the more traditional storytellers who were rather sidelined by it, but I'm planning to read the first volume of Virginia Woolf's diaries and then, hopefully, begin working my way through her fiction. Thank you for doing this and giving me that push!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That'll be my first official event to take part in while book blogging. Yay! Thanks! Can't wait! (Yes I am excited!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looking forward to this!! This is a great literary era =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I too am not very sure about the moderns, but I'm going to dip my toes in with Eliot. Here goes nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just discovered your blog and I'm looking forward to reading along with everyone next month!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will be reading Eliot too. I'm not familiar with this type of literature, but excited to find out. I'm reading all of the preloaded classics on my ereader and disappointed there's not one book by Faulkner, Woolf or Fitzgerald. I feel like I may be missing out on something ...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excited for this event! I will be reading The Sun Also Rises and Mrs. Dalloway (or Lolita if Mrs. Dalloway is chosen for the Classics Spin!).

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a little behind on getting a post up, but know that I will be joining in on this event, and I'm very excited! Thanks for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm in! But I don't really intend to do anything but read and journal. So I'm a non-joiner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello, is Hamsun a modernist writer? I just saw Hunger on the photo so I thought I should ask. If he is, I would love to join this event since I'm really looking forward to reading Mysteries in March. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, I'm in. I've realized I can make a lot of headway with my reading lists, although I must confess these are short works.
    my list

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for hosting this event. It will give me a lens through which I can look at this classic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am excited and hope to read Ulysses and Mrs. Dalloway.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Signing up tonight! Better late than never :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for hosting. Soooo sorry I'm so late. Don't know where the time's going... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm in the middle of Our Lady of the Flowers by Jean Genet. Absalom Absalom by Faulkner is next.

    ReplyDelete