Sunday, November 29, 2015

December 2015 Reading Plans and November in a Nutshell.

Well then. Hello.

I found that I needed to take a step back from blogging early in the month. With my grandma passing away in late October and missing almost an entire week of work, I spent weeks trying to play catch up. I also got bogged down with 3 debate tournments in 2 weeks (I'm one of the coaches this year), as well as regular grading and other commitments. Needless to say, reading and blogging took a backseat to everything else going on. To put it in perspective, I read a grand total of 2 books this month. One was Macbeth, which I read with my Shakespeare class. And the other was a romance novel I read on Wednesday as I was home sick. So....yeah. After the success of #15in31 in October, everything came to a crashing halt.

So, for December, I have grand reading plans. I have that HP challenge going on, and since December is usually the time of year that I comfort read, I think that'll fit in wonderfully. I'm also 6 books away from my book challenge number on Goodreads (of 75 books for the year), so that's some good motivation.

But I miss the excitement of #15in31, so I decided to host my own this month. I'm not sure if anyone wants to join, but I found it to be a good push in October, and I want to get more reading done.


Feel free to let me know if you want to join in!

I'm not pulling a big pile of books for this month, but I do have some things I know I want to finish:

  • The last 2 volumes of Fables by Bill Willingham: For some reason, I have been putting these off. I read the other 20 volumes this year, so what's 2 more? Truthfully, I don't want the series to end.
  • Harry Potter: I'm taking part in the #potterbinge readalong, but haven't picked up anything. I really want to reread the series, plus the schoolbooks and Beedle the Bard, so that's 10 books right there!
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens: It's been a couple years since reading this one, and I am definitely feeling it this year. 
  • Little Women by Louise May Alcott: This is another title that will be a reread, but I'm craving it. It also reminds me of the holidays, so it's another great fit.
  • Austen. I used to read an Austen every Christmas, but I missed it last year. I'm thinking it'll be Persuasion or Emma this year. 
  • The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway: I started this in early November...and didn't finish it. I feel like that's pathetic. It's 80 pages.
  • The Shadow and Bone trilogy: I had planned on reading these over Thanksgiving, but you can see how well that turned out...
  • Carry On by Rainbow Rowell: I was so excited to get my hands on this...and there it sits on my shelf, mocking me.
  • Stand-off by Andrew Smith: Yep. Another book I was so excited to get. And there is sits. 
Anyway, I really just want to relax and read, and I need to find the time to do so. I miss that part of my life!

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to join you for #15in30! Not sure I'll make it but there are a fair few graphic novels I'd like to get to as well as a couple of things for the Classics Club Women's Lit Event :-) also I will always be up for rereading Little Women! Especially this time of year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Women for the holidays! A perfect choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you! December is the time of year when I rarely read a word, and if I do, it's rereads. I really haven't read anything since mid-November and I feel totally okay with that. :) I love some of the choices you have on your list though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I hope #15in31 in December works out well for you! I would've loved to join but all the obligations and a husband who's traveling. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma.

    I just read A Christmas Carol this week. Perfect read for this time of year. Good luck with #15in31!

    ReplyDelete