Friday, August 6, 2010

Book 51: The Glimpses of the Moon and Book Stats.

Title: The Glimpses of the Moon
Author: Edith Wharton (1862-1937)

First Published: 1922
My Edition: Signet Classic
Pages: 250

Other Works Include: The Touchstone (1900), The House of Mirth (1905), Ethan Frome (1911), The Reef (1912), The Custom of the Country (1913), Summer (1917), The Age of Innocence (1920), Old New York (1924), The Gods Arrive (1932), and The Buccaneers (1938)

Anyone who has been following and reading for awhile knows that Wharton is one of my all time favorite writers. I was forced into reading her work back in high school and she became a close friend in my college years. Her writing soothes me and there is such a variety that I can always find something to sink my teeth into.

Her novels are by far her strength. While I enjoy her short stories, I am more of a novel person anyway. She creates realistic and tortuous situations for her characters and develops them in a way that is so incredibly enthralling.

Anyway, The Glimpses of the Moon is a novel I have read once before, so it should be like visiting an old friend. The story is a little more light-hearted than some of her other works. Nick and Susy Lansing marry after realizing that together they can improve their social standing. Both of them travel with the rich and beg some favors, but together, they can advance more. But, they both agree that if something better should come along for either one of them, the other will let them go. Interesting premise, right?

I will say, from my previous reads, that this is not one of my favorite Wharton pieces. I prefer her gloomier stuff, but this is every bit as fun and juicy as say...The Custom of the Country.

I will also be reading the following as part of this challenge: The Age of Innocence and The House of Mirth. I already read and finished Ethan Frome and if you click on that link, it'll take you to my favorite post about that book.

3 comments:

  1. A lighter Wharton? Sounds like something I should try. And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like something I would really like. I own The House of Mirth but I haven't read it yet, so I should definitely get to that. Also, I'm about to read Ethan Frome for my AP English Literature class, so thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished the House of Mirth 2 weeks ago. I might skip this one. But I will definitely read Ethan Frome.

    ReplyDelete