Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One Year Ago....

Exactly one year ago I sat down at my computer in frustration. It was the end of August, and I realized that yet again I was facing the knowledge of knowing that I had failed, once more, in getting a teaching job. I had interviewed all over the area, and had some great moments speaking with principals and schools, but for some reason no one would hire me. I was angry and upset. And mostly frustrated. I didn't know what I should have done differently, or if I could have done anything to make myself stand out.

One year ago I sat down and decided that I would do something for myself. If a school did not find me worthy of being on its staff, I would educate myself as best I could so that one day, I could say "Look at what you turned down."

It was that day that I decided to embark on this odyssey of mine-to read the books of the great authors and learn from them. I figured, that if they could teach me something, perhaps one day I could teach my students. That has been my mantra for the past year, and through all of my experiences with books off this list.

To be perfectly honest, I am surprised to still be here, still reading off this list of 250 classics and writing about it. Too often have I given up on my goals and plans, but here I am. That has to say something about what these books have done for me. They have taught me great things and I am still learning.

I know I have a long way to go...there are still many titles left on my list, and a lot of things to look forward to. I still may not have a teaching job, but you know, perhaps I am not meant to be a teacher. I have come to realize that what I think I want, and what I need, are two entirely different things. And that is perfectly okay.

This week will be a celebration and reflection of this past year of blogging. Today, I want to point you to that first post I wrote one year ago-the post where I opened up and said what I was trying to accomplish. If you missed it, go take a look. It might help explain why I am doing this, and why I can't give up.

Happy Reading.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you and your blog! My 1 year anniversary is right around the corner, and, much like you, I started my blog at a time when I needed inspiration and focus in my life. You've got a great thing going here, so congrats and keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're still here, especially as I only discovered your blog a few months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went back to reread your first post; that year went by fast. All I can say is that you have definitely taught me a lot about books. I know you are struggling with the teaching thing, but I do believe that this process of this blog was meant to be for you and I feel it will lead you to where you need to go. Those schools just don't know what they are missing. Keep on going Allie, you're doing a great job.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that you had the desire to continue to educate yourself so that hopefully you may one day pass that knowledge on to your students. I really enjoy reading your thoughts and can see how passionate you are for literature. I agree with your mother and her last sentence. It will happen for you though...I'm positive of that, but maybe not here in Michigan at this critical economic time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary to your blog! One year is a long time, and you really have to be committed to it to be able to produce good quality posts. Keep it up, and I'm so glad this journey has helped you a lot though the rough times, and has been with you through the good! Keep you head up, your time will come :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary to you! Well done you for keeping it up so long. I can only do a few classics a year, so I'm very impressed with your ambition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Allie! Thanks for stopping by my blog at Luxury Reading, and I just had to visit yours! This is such an admirable goal and kudos to you for making it a year! I know there are many many classics I have not read, so I give anyone who attempts it major props. And hang in there! The perfect teaching job will come your way! I have many friends who waited forever to get one and had to move, but they are very happy where they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Happy anniversary, and I totally feel your frustration! I'm in a similar boat myself. Love how you channeled your frustration!!! Kudos, and good luck as you keep pushin' on -- both in reading, and in searching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got something great: you've taught me a lot about some books, so you've been like a professor for me in all this year.

    Thank you and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I think your project is such a great way to keep the lousy job market from defining your year. No matter what happens on the professional front you'll know that you've achieved something great. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you wouldn't give up, Allie. Congrats and keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete