After scouring the list of old topics, I decided to do an oldie based on the books I had to go out and buy....but haven't managed to read yet.
I don't know if you're like me, but I tend to buy books in big batches. And, generally speaking, I don't read through that batch before going out and buying more (as evidenced by my huge TBR list).
For this, you'll see a mix of new releases and classics-all of which I was determined to read when I bought my copy, but have since found their place on my bookshelves.
- A Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling: I'm pretty sure I bought this the week it came out. And I haven't read it. I also bought The Cuckoo's Calling. Haven't read that one either. Whoops.
- Salinger by David Shields and Shane Salerno: I bought this the week it came out, which was perfect since I was teaching The Catcher in the Rye at the time. And...still on the shelf.
- Wither, Fever, and Sever by Lauren DeStefano: I bought each of these close to their release and still haven't even read the first one. The covers for these are lovely, which is probably why they came home with me!
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman: I've heard wonderful things about this one (dragons!), but still haven't found the right moment to start reading it. I might wait until the series is finished...
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: This was one of those hot books that everyone was reading, and since it sounded interesting, I bought a copy too. I even lent it to a few people, but I still haven't given it a chance!
- The Autobiography of Mark Twain Volume 1: I bought this right after its release (notice a trend) and I had the best intentions of settling in and reading it. Since purchasing, volume 2 has come out and this volume is collecting a bit of dust.
- The American by Henry James: After finishing The Portrait of a Lady a couple of years ago, I bought a slew of James novels in hopes of tackling more by him. This was the title I was most excited for....still haven't read it.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: This is another one of those titles that was everywhere and it sounds really interesting....just haven't give it a chance yet. Like Gone Girl, it's another title I've lent out a few times!
- Beloved by Toni Morrison: Back when I made my 250 list, I was really excited to read my first Morrison novels, and Beloved was at the top of that list. And while I've read Morrison, I haven't touched this one yet.
- Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin: Technically I've started this one, but this is another that I was anxious to read, but haven't found the time or urge to do so!
I have The Cuckoo's Calling and The Night Circus collecting dust as well. I chose a really similar topic this week, "Books That Have Been on My Shelf for the Longest, but I've Never Read" -- I know I have a ton of un-read books, but that it was so sad to realize just how long I've had some of these... so many more recent ones are in the same boat, but they weren't anywhere near making the list!ReplyDelete
Oh Night Circus is a good one! Make time for that one :)ReplyDelete
I agree with Wesley. :DReplyDelete
I didn't get either JK Rowling book - I just got them from the library. That's one thing I love about the library - it forces me to read books right when I get them, or they have to go back before I can. I've stopped buying books altogether that I haven't read yet, unless they're by an author I REALLY trust (ie, like Brandon Sanderson) or they're finishing up a series that I love. I don't keep a lot of book - only books I've loved so much that I know I will want to reread - so I don't like to buy books unless I already know I'll keep them.
Would it help that The Night Circus is on the list I chose for today; Books I'll Never Get to Read for the First Time Again? :) One of my favorites!ReplyDelete
I constantly pick up books "Oh I HAVE to have that" and months later they're sitting unread on my shelves...oops :P Great list! Wither is one I bought after seeing it cheap maybe...two years or so ago and I still haven't read it haha. Lots here I need to read though including The Night Circus.ReplyDelete
Becca @ Lost in Thought
I second Heather's comment, The Night Circus is just fantastic! I have A Casual Vacancy on my shelf and haven't read it yet either.ReplyDelete
I still have Confederacy of Dunces when it first came out years ago sitting on the shelf unread. Sad. I have too many to name. Maybe the next spin number that comes up should have these books on it. At least one would get read.ReplyDelete
Having just put up a review of Night Circus, that is definitely my first recommendation. Beloved and Seraphina tie for second. And I still have Gone Girl waiting on my shelves too. :)ReplyDelete
I totally knee-jerk buy books! I bought the two latest Rowling books only to realize that I honestly have no desire to read them because the subject matter isn't interesting to me. Honestly, ditto for The Goldfinch and one other recent release that everyone went ape over. I also tend to buy a ton of books by an author after I read one book by them and enjoy it. I'm really trying to get better about this.ReplyDelete
Man! I'm right there with you. Let's see...#5 check, #9 check, #1 check check. I still haven't caved to The Night Circus pressures. Phew...maybe I'll force myself to read Gone Girl before that.ReplyDelete
Interesting article and I Banget Fill It LoveReplyDelete
Fraternal greetings from our.
obat telat bulan
jual obat aborsi