Sunday, August 14, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up for August 14, 2011: Whirlwind.

I have never been so glad to be done with a week before! Starting with my emotional outburst last Sunday, to getting the results of my FIL's biopsy, to a migraine that lasted three days, to no internet for two days, to stress at work, I am completely wiped out. And I am writing this at 6 in the morning because I have to be to work by 7. Yeah, this was a miserable week.

But you know, it is weeks like this that really put things into perspective. I was pretty down last weekend, and I sincerely appreciate every one of the comments I got on that post. I am normally a pretty happy person, but I have found myself slipping into anger and sadness a little too much recently. I think the face that school will be back in session shortly, as well as the ending of another hiring season, puts me into a grumpy mood.

I am feeling much better about everything. Again, THANK YOU for all of your support. In my heart, I know it isn't me-it is the craptastic economy and circumstances out of my control. But in the meantime, I can continue doing things to better myself and explore other options.


As for my FIL, the biopsy results came back. He was officially diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. They have some more tests to run to determine his stage, etc. No matter what, he will have to go through chemo, so we are bracing. My FIL is pretty young (47), so this is kind of a shock. (I should probably clarify-the man I call my FIL is actually Matt's step-dad. Matt has no relationship with his real dad, and I don't consider him my FIL. Don married Matt's mom when Matt was 8, so Don is really the only father figure Matt has had). We are all praying and hoping for the best.


In reading...

Like I said, I had a nasty migraine that lingered for nearly three full days (even now I can still feel knots in my neck). I haven't had one that bad in a long time! It really knocked me out and obviously, no reading was accomplished. I did manage to finish Jude the Obscure last night, so that's something! :)

I do have to say that I have loved both Hardy novels I've read so far. New favorite? Most likely.

This week I'll have reviews up for Peter Pan, Ceremony, and Sula. Again, they will be in one post format. They are from the few weeks where I was reading so fast, I didn't have time to do multiple drafts like I usually do. How do you guys like the one post formats? I don't mind them, but I miss spreading my thoughts out!

I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. I discarded Kim by Kipling after it didn't catch my attention in the first few pages. I'll get to it eventually. I still have A Lesson Before Dying in my purse. I am also in the mood for something fun, so I grabbed Treasure Island to start during my lunch break. You guys have any other suggestions?

I better cut this short-need to get to work and finish putting up some swings! (Oh, I have a few fun park-related posts in the works. Hopefully they make you laugh).

Happy Reading!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a horrible week, Allie. :( I'm sorry to hear about your father in law. I've had a couple family members go through chemo for various cancers over the years, so I can understand what you guys are going through. :(

    I hope this upcoming week goes better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like a rough week. You need some relaxing reading after that! I highly recommend Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca as a wonderful gothic read -- I just finished rereading it for my classics book group (with Amanda!) and we all enjoyed it, even though it's not great literature.

    I think children's classics might be great comfort reads right now. Have you read Anne of Green Gables? Or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (not exactly a children's read, but a great comfort book). I hope your week gets better -- and please keep us posted on your FIL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as Summer is 'supposed' to be stressfree, it isn't always. I feel for your stress and anxiety, having suffered similarly for the past two weeks such that my face broke out in a total rash and I had to go to two dematologists. Well, enough about me, that's just for commisseration. I'm here to wish you many blessings on your upcoming school year; may He bless you and keep you, your husband and the dear children we touch.

    Bellezza (who for some reason didn't have permission to leave a comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 3 day migraine is bad enough (mine have only lasted one full day), but everything else does make for a horrible week! So sorry to hear about your FIL. Sending good thoughts your way and hoping this next week is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry it was such a bad week, Allie. But I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. :-) You know what you should read? Sense and Sensibility! As others have said, I'm sending good thoughts for your FIL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that you had a rough week. I hope you get some better news this week.

    Sending lots of happy vibes your way. Hope things go well with your FIL's chemo. I know that's a rough experience but I hope it goes well and he improves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, what an awful week! I read Jude earlier this year and it was amazing! What a punch in the stomach, it was intense.

    Funny about Kim, I read a few pages a couple months ago and couldn't get into it. I'm in the middle of it now and honestly, I'm still not really liking it.

    I second the recommendations for both Rebecca and Sense and Sensibility. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel ya! I had the three-day migraine this weekend, mostly brought on by stress, pissed-offedness, and course planning for the new semester. Glad you're feeling a bit better than last week, and I'm certainly sending out the good vibes and prayers for your FIL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough week Allie. Hopefully this one will be much much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rotten week, but I hope things will look up soon. :) I can't wait to read your thoughts on Sula. It's been sitting in my tbr pile for a while, but Toni Morrison intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete