Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings.


It's Tuesday, so that means that it is Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by the lovely folks over at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week, participants count down their top ten in the specified category!

Since I participated in this topic last year, I felt I should participate again to keep up some kind of routine. ;)

Anyway, this week's topic is the "Top Ten Books We Hope Santa Brings." Now, while I have a very long list of books I want to acquire, I thought that my friends and family wouldn't be too thrilled to sort through pages and pages of book titles when they ask what I want (Does anyone else face opposition when you ask for books? I think part of my problem is that they helped me move all my books last year...something about me having too many already or some such nonsense). I narrowed down my list, so these are the exact ten titles I asked for this year.

And you'll notice a trend...or two. ;)

10. The Call of the Wild by Jack London: This is one of those Puffin Classics that were just released. Since I already owned the Penguin Clothbounds...I kind of extended into this set as well. I already own three, so you can see why I "need" the rest for my collection. I love London, and this cover really captures the magic of his story.

9. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie: Told you there was a trend. :) I finally read this one this past summer and really loved the magic of it. I can already picture reading this to the future little kiddos I might one day have. I love the images on this cover-the ships especially.

8. The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green: I actually haven't read the book, but I've seen the Disney animated version often enough to be pretty familiar with the story. :) I love the little bunnies scattered on this cover, and it is such a lovely shade of green.

7. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett: I haven't read this since I was young! My best friend in the fourth grade lent it to me, and I loved the story. I don't think I ever owned a copy, but I would love to rediscover it again!

6. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery: My own copy of this edition, which I read in college, not as a young girl, has gone missing. I read this for my YA literature course and loved it. I eventually want to read the whole series, but starting from book 1 would be great!

5. Hard Times by Charles Dickens: I LOVE this novel, and I think the new design for the Penguin clothbound series is gorgeous. I love this shade of green, and I know this is going to look so pretty on my shelf if I get it.

4. Bleak House by Charles Dickens: The other new Dickens title being released in the same collection (see the second trend here?). Again, I love the cover-the birdhouses are delightful, but now I am wracking my brain trying to remember the connection! Oh, and for you Dickens lovers, Penguin is offering a beautiful box set of all the Penguin Clothbounds in celebration of his birthday.

3. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen: I am SO GLAD that Penguin decided to release the other 3 Austen titles in this collection (yep, I have the other three). I actually haven't read this title in a long time, so I would love to sneak this one in as a fun read.

2. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen: This is the other Austen I am not as familiar with (haven't read it in a while!). It is also the only Austen still left on my list! Keeping with my new tradition of reading an Austen in December, this will be the pick in 2012!


1. Persuasion by Jane Austen: This might be my FAVORITE cover of all the Penguin clothbounds (The Odyssey by Homer comes in a very close second because I adore the waves). This is also my very favorite Austen, so I would love and cherish this for all time. :)

What books are you asking for this holiday season?

21 comments:

  1. Love those editions! I have Sense & Sensibility and Dracula in the penguin hardcover editions and they are so pretty I am almost scared to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really pretty. I have never asked myself for such special books, becuase I am a little reluctant to start a collection. I hope you'll get them.

    And I noticed a third trend, too. They all are classics. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO pretty! All of these editions are totally lickable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have way too many of the same books (same editions) on our lists. I love the Puffin classics and I agree, I think the Persuasion cover might just be my favorite! I asked the Huz for it for Christmas and he informed me that it's not out until April. I told him I accept IOUs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that there was a Puffin Classics cloth bound series out! Maybe I didn't want to know...

    Great list--and you MUST read the rest of the Anne books, since you loved the first one. Montgomery was one of my favorite authors growing up, and I still love to revisit her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I wish I could put an end to my random buying of any book that sounds interesting and not caring about the cover! I always regret that when I see pictures of so much more beautiful editions (like the one you wish for)...

    As for Santa.. I told my parents just to go to the classics department of our local bookshop and get me every book they like :)
    Just hope it works...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I love those Puffins, so pretty. I have a few of the penguin clothbound and they are beautiful too. Unfortunately I have the rest of their collection already in paperback, so no excuse to rebuy the pretty editions :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't got Austen on mine, but I'm starting to regret that: those covers are amazing! I've only just read Northanger Abbey, so I'm puzzling over the cover. I think I have an idea but I don't want to say because it is a bit far-fetched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so beautiful. I just put all the Puffins on my wish list the other day, but I am especially enamored with The Secret Garden, which is one of my childhood favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the Northanger Abbey cover! I NEEEED SOME PENGUIN CLOTHBOUNDS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what Santa brought you this year...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful Persuasion cover, and I LOVE the pink Anne of Green Gables. I usually hate pink, but for some reason it's just right for Anne Shirley.

    I'm excited by how much you love the Dickens titles you list. I have yet to read them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! You have some great choices there. My favorite ones have to be the Peter Pan and Northanger Abbey ones.

    Does anyone else face opposition when you ask for books?

    Ha! So true. I asked for Les Misérables this year and my mom keeps trying to convince me to ask for clothes or shoes. Funny, because she loves books just as much as I do, so I don't get why she thinks I might end up regretting it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have any clothbounds (yet) but have had my eyes on Sense and Sensibility. However, I think I may buy that edition of Anne of Green Gables. That was my favorite book when I was growing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely editions! I love the Penguin clothbounds, though I am (so far) only the owner of one (Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell, which is lime green and lovely).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I won a copy of the SECRET GARDEN Puffin classics from a blogger and I am going to read it to my newborn daughter. I have fond memories of my mother reading it to me...of course Baby won't remember yet, but it's the thought that counts. I agree -- they are simply lovely!

    ReplyDelete