Sunday, April 10, 2011

End of Event Survey.

It is currently 6:34am and I am waiting out the last hour and a half of the readathon before collapsing into bed. I have to work at 11:45 (yeah, I know. I'm crazy), so I am going to crash in bed as soon as possible. I did take a nap from about 11:30 to 3 in the morning, so at least I got some sleep.

That said, having pneumonia really put a damper on my readathon experience. I am bummed I wasn't more active and didn't read as much.

Hosting the last couple hours has been fun. Colleen was wonderful and did an extra post so I could wake up a bit and get my bearings. I really should have looked at wordpress a bit more before jumping in, since I was trying to figure out the posting format as I was going. Oh well, lessons for next time. :)

Anywho, because I am the last host and I am wasting time before crawling back into bed, I am going to start my end-of-event-survey. Maybe I can be #1 on Mister Linky. Woo!!

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
I would say the first few hours were the hardest. I woke up on time to start with everyone and managed to do the first mini-challenge, but I was so exhausted that I had to go back to bed. When I woke up again, husband put his foot down and told me I had to go to the doctor. And I am glad I did. Pneumonia is no joke people. It stinks.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
I had every intention of reading some fun things-some YA for example, but I just didn't spend a whole lot of time reading. I think that having variety is key to having a good readathon experience.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
I think everything went great this year! And seeing it from the administrative end was new and inspiring. The volunteers and coordinators bust their butts. It is amazing to see!

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
I think we had a great variety in mini-challenges! And it seemed as if readers were really responsive to the challenges we had!

5. How many books did you read?
Technically 2. I finished the last 200+ pages of Mary Barton and started Their Eyes Were Watching God, but didn't get very far.

6. What were the names of the books you read?
See above. :)

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
Even though I just started it, I have a really good feeling about Hurston's book!

8. Which did you enjoy least?
While I really liked Mary Barton, I should have read something fun today. I was going to...but my guilt got in the way and I knew I needed to finish it.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
I was not, but I did stop by as many blogs as I could to leave comments. I think next year I will take a stint as a cheerleader. :)

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I will most definitely participate again. I really liked my co-hosting gig. It was rewarding and I would consider doing it again. I also LOVED hosting a mini-challenge. I had 158 something entries. It was amazing and I loved people's answers. Later this week I'll have a post up about the books people chose.
I will say that I will never do this again if I am sick. I have no idea how I am awake right now and I feel like death. Never again. It was fun and rewarding, but I know I am going to regret it later.


I hope you all had a great readathon! I am sticking online for a few to make sure things run smoothly through the end and then I am CRASHING. Talk to you all later!

12 comments:

  1. Big hugs for the organiser lady who had pneumonia! I can not even believe you made it this far being so sick - such dedication deserve laurels, or chocolate or something. Hope you have some nice duvet time before (gulp) heading out to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pneumonia while organizing an event like this?!? Holy sickness Batman. That's just nuts. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for co-hosting and running a mini-challenge. You are awesome!

    Do feel better soon! My advice would be to totally skip work today. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better! And I liked your mini-challenge :o) I don't participate in many, but yours was one of the few I joined in on! Thanks for being so involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you aren't feeling so well and you are right pneumonia is no joke, so make sure you take care of yourself and thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finishing especially since you have pnemonia. My goodness! I always miss these events cause I work on weekends so I'm going to do my own tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you made it through those last few hours! I'm glad you were able to have some fun, even with the pneumonia. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a wonderful readathon, Allie. Even if you were under the weather.

    and I can't even imagine what the coordinators go through. I'm sure that they are grossly underappreciated. It's hard getting all of the criticism and none of the praise!

    Loved your mini-challenge! Was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really hope you're feeling better. I can't believe you still hung in there and hosted the final hours, in addition to doing the mini-challenge earlier in the day. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm kind of amazed that you did this despite being sick - that's impressive. You organizers all did a fabulous job keeping things going with updates and, I'm sure, countless things that you had to organize that us readers don't even see. This was my first time doing the read-a-thon and it was fun, though I think next time I do it I'll throw in a charity component. I think that's something that is brought up on the read-a-thon page, and that some people read for charity (right?) but I didn't see it mentioned on any blogs I visited during the event. Wouldn't it be awesome if that became a bigger part of the read-a-thon?

    -- ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were better than I was, because I couldn't start on time! Sleep won out so I could read longer than I might otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete