Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Book 83: Jane Eyre and Book Stats.

Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855)

First Published: 1847
My Edition: Penguin Clothbound Classic (seen at left)
Pages: 578

Other Works Include: Shirley (1849), Villette (1853), The Professor (1857)

I read Villette back in September/October and many of the comments I received mentioned that it was odd I wasn't started with Bronte's more famous novel, Jane Eyre. When I was deciding between the two, I was extremely hesitant to pick up this title, so I grabbed Villette first. To be honest, it looked more interesting and suited my mood. I ended up loving the novel and have wondered ever since how this one could possibly top it. That might be the reason I have been so hesitant to begin reading it.

Here are links to my posts on Villette if you are interested:
In any case, with the new movie out and all the hype, I realized I should probably read the novel to avoid spoilers. Somehow I have managed to avoid any knowledge of the plot of the book during my lifetime. Impressive, isn't it? All I do know is that there is some fellow named Rochester, a girl named Jane, and that she is an orphan. There is a lot missing to make that a story.

As I start this, I am nervous and hesitant. I am worried it won't live up to my high expectations, or that it will be overshadowed by the beauty of Villette. Another part of me is a little sad that I am reading this so soon. Once I finish it, I won't have any more Brontes to look forward to on my list (Obviously they have more novels between the three of them, and I haven't read any of Anne's work, but none of their other titles are on my 250 list). But, I am excited and I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.

How many of you have read this one? How does it compare to the other Bronte titles you have read?

13 comments:

  1. By FAR the best Bronte! By a mile!! So far I've read four Brontes, most recently Villette which I found rather uneven. HATED Wuthering Heights, quite liked The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I have yet to read Agnes Grey, Shirley, or The Professor.

    But Jane Eyre is AMAZING.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do your best to keep from hearing any more of the plot before you read it. I would not have liked it nearly as much as I did if I knew what was going to happen. I think you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it but I did prefer Wuthering Heights. I have read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall but I only have vague memories of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Karen K that this is the best Bronte novel by far. I also hated Wuthering Heights, disliked Agnes Grey, but really enjoyed Tenant of Wildfell Hall (my second-fav Bronte novel). I admit, I only made it halfway through Villette and hated that one with a passion, and only made it a quarter of the way through Shirley. I think for me, Jane Eyre was the only thing Charlotte produced that I'm going to like. The good thing is that I love it to little itty bitty pieces. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently read this as well. I wasn't expecting to like it all that much but I ended up loving it. The characters are just so well written and there are a number of really good surprises.
    I think you'll really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had to say Allie-CONGRATULATIONS ON NUMBER 300. You are awesome.


    Also-I loved Jane Eyre-just finished about two weeks ago. Hope you like it.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Jane Eyre but found Villette just okay. However...I read them at very different points in my life, and I'm not sure I actually really read Villette that well because I was rushing to finish it before it was due. I really need to read both over again sometime, if for no other reason than that I'm curious as to how I will respond on a second go 'round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read JANE EYRE a couple months ago, and it quickly became one of my favorite books! I have not ready any other Bronte novels, but I can't wait to read this one again and again. . Like you, I was also surprised that I knew very little about this novel before reading it. I was even more surprised after I finished it because as a high school, or even college, student I would have loved to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way, way, WAY better than Wuthering Heights. I haven't read any of Anne's books yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read both Jane Eyre and Villette for the first time this year (odd, huh? English major and all... but I always got diverted by the lure of a Cathy/Heathliffe reread, and bypassed poor Charlotte.)I loved both- I thought Jane Eyre was going to be so much more unrelentingly somber than it actually was. I'm actually working on writing an article about Jane Eyre at the moment (due tomorrow at midnight--this is one of my brain-rest breaks); I posted about Villette here: http://southernbluestocking.com/2011/04/13/what-im-reading-villette-charlotte-bronte/
    Enjoy the reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not an Eyre-obsessed person, but I definitely enjoyed the story, so I hope it works out for you! I haven't read Villette yet, but your review did have me adding it to the (unconscionably long) wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Wuthering Heights for high school English almost 20 years ago. I remember really liking it, but I actually remember nothing else of the book itself. I am interested in seeing what I think of WH now and if WH or Jane Eyre will be my favorite of the two. I can't wait to see what your final thoughts are on JE...I have been anxiously waiting for you to post them. Did it live up to the hype for you???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read any other Charlotte Bronte novels, but I do love this one!

    ReplyDelete