Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Book 83: Love.

Oh dear.

I am so totally in love with Jane Eyre that I just can't help it.

I love the drama of her life at Thornfield, her conversations with Mr. Rochester, the mystery of what lives upstairs. It is all so beautifully wonderful. And if you haven't read the novel, please STOP READING this here because I am totally going to spoil it for you.

Jane just left Thornfield and has escaped after the disaster of her wedding day. I had to set the book aside to record my thoughts, because there is so much to talk about.

First, I absolutely adored the scene with Rochester playing the gypsy. So fun and enlightening. I think that as readers, we really got to see him interact with Jane in a different way.

I also love their interactions leading up to that moment of the wedding. It is passionate and truthful-something I find so necessary in love. Here is a piece of what I love:

"I have for the first time found what I can truly love–I have found you. You are my sympathy–my better self–my good angel–I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wrap my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one."

*sigh* Just let me swoon over here...

Really, the novel is full of passion and hope, something very different from what I found in Villette. In this one, it so much more...youthful. It is so full of hope for what the future will bring these two, that the wedding day disaster tears them all apart. I can understand why Jane would leave.

I am sure I am saying nothing new about this. Everything I could say, has been said, and probably much more eloquently. But seriously, this is a such a beautiful novel. I know that Jane must return to Rochester, she must!

I am off to find out!

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved the gypsy scene!! That was one of my favorites and so many people make fun of it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this novel as well! I can't wait to reread it. I am eager to hear your final thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea he was playing the gypsy until he revealled himself so I loved it. one I swooned over while reading it

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gypsy scene surprised me, too...I just didn't think Rochester had a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Jane Eyre recently as well. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. I felt as if I had been missing out on a gem for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love this one! I recently re-read it for the upteenth time, and I always get something out of it each time i read. I love the gypsy scene too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Sigh* I LOVE this book, and I have enjoyed reading your posts. And for some reason, the cover of your book is just so moving to me for some reason...it has something to do with the fact that wisps of hair have escaped the bun...not sure why, but there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayyyy. I frantically love this book too. Jane Eyre! She's such a cool lady! I wish she were real so we could be bff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to reread this! I loved it when I read it ages ago, so much that I didn't want it to end. I don't have very many books I can say that about!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite books :) and you said you didn't want to read it, and now look at you haha. But I love Jane and Rochester, ahhh they're so precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Villette yet, but I'm a huge fan of Jane Eyre and I'm so glad you're loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this first 15 years ago and reread it last year for book club. So much better than I had expected! I am going to see the movie next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YEAY! I am so glad you are loving this as much as I do. I too like the gypsy scene. It's the sign of a bad movie when they change that around....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post reminded me how much I loved Jane Eyre, and I really want to reread it now. Seriously, I swooned over Mr. Darcy, but Mr. Rochester seems a thousand times more passionate. :)

    ReplyDelete