Saturday, May 14, 2011

Vanity Fair June 2011 Readalong Sign-ups.

Welcome to the sign-ups for the June 2011 readalong of William Makepeace Thackeray's Vanity Fair hosted here at A Literary Odyssey!

This is a title I know little about, so of course, I can't wait to jump in! I know that a movie came out a few years ago, but I've never seen it. I don't know about the storyline except what I am about to tell you, so now is the perfect time to jump in and enjoy.

Here is a short synopsis taken from Goodreads.com;

""Vanity Fair" is a story of two heroines--one humble, the other scheming and social-climbing--who meet in boarding school and embark on markedly different lives. Amid the swirl of London's posh ballrooms and affairs of love and war, their fortunes rise and fall. Through it all, Thackeray lampoons the shallow values of his society, reserving the most pointed barbs for the upper crust. What results is a prescient look at the dogged pursuit of wealth and status--and the need for humility."

Sounds fascinating, doesn't it?

I based the posting schedule and pages based off of my edition, so the page amounts may differ in your copy. My edition is the Modern Library Classic if you are curious. :) Here are the posting dates:
  • Post 1 will go up on June 15 (the first 34 chapters-368 pages)
  • Post 2 will go up on June 30 (the last 33 chapters-347 pages)
Does anyone else find it funny that the posts for this one are double what the posts are for Dostoevsky's novel? It happens!

I hope that you are looking forward to joining in on the fun! If you are interested in taking this one on, leave a comment with a link to your blog so I can link it here. I look forward to reading this one with you.

15 comments:

  1. I've had vanity fair lying around for aaaaages, and a readalong moght be e only way to actually get me to read it! So I'm in :)

    Http://devouringtexts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! I've been bound and determined to read this book THIS YEAR and I want to count it toward the Chunkster Challenge. I'm SO SO SO in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in too...I've missed my other challenges due to end of the semester responsibilities so I'm all over this one!! Yay Summertime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in on this one! It'll be fun. :-D

    http://jillianisreading.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really love to read this, but unfortunately my commitments for June won't allow me to do so. But believe me; I'd rather be reading Vanity Fair than scholarly literature about middle school students ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in. I have read about half in the past, but I'm looking forward to finishing.

    Laura@ The Scarlet Letter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going back and forth--but I'm pretty sure I am in as well. Will confirm for sure in a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to read this with your readalong!

    bythebybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I so want to do this. I have seen an A&E version and love the humor. I'll be buying it for my Nook, so I don't have to carry around a doorstop.

    blog.chainreader.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the risk of over scheduling myself, I'm in. :) I started VF a long time ago but never finished it. I didn't want to put it down at the time, but was just too busy.

    Going to try to get the posts up on time as well. Hopefully.

    completelybooksessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in. I've had this one on my TBR list for awhile. Now is a great time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely in--and looking forward to it enormously!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got a copy of this and can't wait to re-read it as the last time I read it was around eight years ago.... I will attempt to actually finish this time!
    Www.anarmchairbythesea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I am a little late in the game, but I have decided to join in on this one ... I just couldn't resist for some reason ...lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's my halfway post:

    http://jillisreading.blogspot.com/2011/06/vanity-fair-im-halfway-through.html

    Hope you're well, Allie! :-)

    ReplyDelete