Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up for May 8, 2011.

I am making this a short post today because I have a pile of things to do before heading to the park for my shift in a couple hours.

I had a much better week this week, even though I didn't make a ton of reading progress. I accomplished a lot for school, and while I still brought home a huge stack of papers this weekend, I am feel much more "in balance" than I did last week. Besides, only two more weeks with my seniors and then I have a second prep hour. :)

One thing that really helped me keep my sanity this week was my lunch hour. Generally, I go down to the English office to eat with the other teachers, but I spent three days this week eating in my room and getting miscellaneous things done. I read while I ate, then spent the other half of my lunch getting things reorganized and put together. I am very active when I am teaching, so my desk quickly becomes a war zone. This really helped me this week, and since I subbed twice this week during my prep hour (meaning I went all day without a break), this REALLY helped. I'm going to continue to read and relax on my lunch as a way to refocus in the midst of very busy days.

I am in the middle of a couple of books. I am THISCLOSE to finishing Hard Times by Charles Dickens for my Classics Circuit Post, and I have also started The Iliad for my readalong. Both are much quicker reads than I was expecting.

I posted quite a bit this week (getting very close to being caught up). Here are the posts for this week if you missed them:
This week you'll see posts on Wide Sargasso Sea and Gaskell's Mary Barton. I also have one more post half-drafted on Jane Eyre (couldn't help it).

Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I always eat lunch in my classroom. I'm sure I seem antisocial, but I really need that 35 minutes to recollect myself and prepare for the next 3 hours with students. I'm glad you found a way to make your school day a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a work-over-lunch kind of girl. Then again, as a college teacher, I don't actually get lunch breaks anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to what you are saying. I am ready to be done with the school year and have some time to blog again. I always have more papers to grade than it can seem possible. I also eat lunch in my room but I have a friend come in who teaches the same courses I do and we reflect, discuss and just plain help each other be better teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a bit of a hard time with my Dickens book for the Classics Circuit-- his writing style is just SO different from what I'm used to that I think I'm sort of...rejecting it? If that makes sense? (Like a bad organ transplant, wut.) I'm just kind of like "wtf does that sentence mean" all the time and then I get annoyed.

    But! I'm going to try doing what my Joyce teacher said about Ulysses-- not worrying about understanding everything, just trying to get the main points. (Now I feel sort of stupid. Er.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was working I typically used my lunch for reading, although sometimes it could turn into a errand-running or catch-up time. I always preferred the reading days! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read so many books over lunch. Les Mis, The Count of Monte Cristo, all of Harry Potter..... I don't work out of the home anymore, so I miss that daily break, but I do get plenty of me time now a days.

    ReplyDelete