I have been checking out my big old pile of reads for the event, and settled on finishing Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens (I started it in February, but set it aside), as well as The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell. I thought they would make a good jumping off point!
The first giveaway for the event is for another of Gaskell's works. I am a huge fan of Gaskell and have been slowly reading her complete works over the last couple of years. Today's title is one of my favorites by her and one that I hope I get to during this event.
When her father leaves the Church in a crisis of conscience, Margaret Hale is uprooted from her comfortable home in Hampshire to move with her family to the north of England. Initially repulsed by the ugliness of her new surroundings in the industrial town of Milton, Margaret becomes aware of the poverty and suffering of the local mill workers and develops a passionate sense of social justice. This is intensified by her tempestuous relationship with the mill-owner and self-made man, John Thornton, as their fierce opposition over his treatment of his employees masks a deeper attraction. In North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell skillfully fuses individual feeling with social concern, and in Margaret Hale creates one of the most original heroines of Victorian literature."
Up for grabs is a brand new Penguin edition of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. To enter, please read and follow the rules and instructions below:
- This first giveaway will be open to any residents of the U.S. or Canada (my international participants, I have special giveaways planned for you later on in the event!).
- You MUST be a participant of A Victorian Celebration to enter.
- You MUST be 13 years or older
- You do not have to follow me or subscribe to qualify
- You MUST leave me your e-mail so that I contact you if you win
- The winner will have 48 hours to respond or I will pick a new winner.
- To enter, comment on this post and answer the following question: What is the first title you are reading for the event and why did you pick it?
- The giveaway will be open until 11:59 PM on Friday, June 8, 2012 EST.