Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Warbreaker Post 4: Chapters 35-49.

 Welcome to post 4 of the Warbreaker readalong. This event is hosted by Amanda and Naithin and we've been reading for four weeks! Here are my thoughts on the earlier sections:

Post 1: Chapters 1-12
Post 2: Chapters 13-23
Post 3: Chapters 24-34

I should warn you that there will be definite spoilers if you haven't read the book, and it might be better if you just go and read the book (totally worth it!).

Onward with the questions:

1) So, pretty much everything has been flipped up on its head in this section. Which particular revelation was the greatest shock to you and how has it impacted your view of the book as a whole?

I was quite surprised by the beginning of this section and the twist concerning Denth and the others. In some ways, I feel a bit cheated. I hate twists of that nature in books that I am reading. I feel like authors use that to be like "Look how I tricked you! Hahaha!" When really all it does it pull me away from the story-it puts more focus on the author than the story. End of rant.

Anyway, I was surprised to see that the mercenaries weren't what I was expecting...which means that nothing we've encountered so far has been honest. Now, I'm not sure what to believe about Denth (and Vasher and everyone else) as the story moves forward.

2) Vasher is perhaps one of those things who we’ve had flipped over on us. Turns out he may have once been a scholar, even! Vasher and Viveena have quite the conversation about Awakening and Returned and skate across the topic of ‘Type 4’ Awakened Objects, which the story implies to be objects like Nightblood. Vasher is completely unwilling to discuss it any further – any guesses as to why?

I really like Vasher. He seems to be much more honest of a character than I originally thought, and I am glad that Vivenna has teamed up with him a bit. I think it's obvious Vasher is not some run of the mill guy just out to start a revolution. He has deeper connections to the conflict and brewing war. He knows too much to be a random person and the fact that he refuses to discuss Nightblood? Oh yeah, he knows something's up! :)

 3) Siri’s conversation with Treledees perhaps indicated that for all the disregard he shows for Siri, that he may in fact still care for the God King. If true, does this clash with their idea of simply holding onto the Divine Breath until the return of another, or how could you see it being reconciled?

I think this connects with what I was getting at in the first question. Since Sanderson tossed everything around with the switcheroo concerning Denth and the others, you can't take anything we've read at face value. Sanderson has already shown us that things are not what they seem, and while it appears that Tredelees and the other priests are slimy little buggers, that might not be the case. Has it occurred to anyone else that Siri hasn't outright asked someone what is going on? She's talked around it, implied threats, and used her power as Vessel, but there hasn't been an honest conversation.

I really think Sanderson is just trying to mess with our heads and we're in for another twist related to the priests. Given the fact that he released the book serially on his website, I'm convinced we have more twists on the way.

(On that same note, I think we're going to see a lot from Lightsong as we near the end in this same regard-he won't be who we expect him to be either).

4) We’re so far through the book now, and the War has yet to come. Do you (still?) see it as inevitable, or do you think that it may yet be headed off?

From what I know of fantasy novels, if you have a standalone, the war better be early on. I doubt there will be a full-blown war at any point in the book. There just aren't enough pages left! I foresee a lot of political maneuvering ahead of all the characters!

I'm still waiting to see who "Warbreaker" is. I'm starting to doubt my belief that it is Siri or Vivenna, but I'm sure Sanderson will surprise me again. :)

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Your post is almost the same as mine! I'm glad I'm not the only one who was irritated by the plot twists. I, too, felt like it was a writing trick that I've actually come NOT to expect from Sanderson. He's usually good about not sacrificing character for plot twists. This is an early book, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I prefer when he's more subtle. And, like you, I think there's no way war is coming, not this close to the end of the book. I imagine it'll get closer to war, but it'll be averted at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I enjoyed the twists. I generally find that life throws you twists, turns, and unknowns and I am comfortable with that being reflected in my reading material.

    You're right that Siri hasn't really had an honest conversation with anyone but Susebron. Who would she chat with? Perhaps Lightsong, but I can see how she might be hesitant to do that. And when she asked Bluefingers for info at the beginning she got vague warnings and half answers. Such a difficult spot for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like a select few know what is going on and everyone else is being kept in the dark by fear. Or perhaps it is more that everyone knows what is going on but it must be kept secret from the Returned for some reason, so no one will talk about it. Not long before we get our answers, I hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting that you don't like these sudden twists in stories, since I'm completely opposite. I find it fun to see all the puzzle pieces fall into place even if it's not the puzzle I was expecting. I take it you don't read those typical who-dun-its very much huh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy twists in a book; but they need to be well executed.

    While I don't hate the twists in Warbreaker -- in particular the Denth and co one -- I don't love them either. It felt like there was very little in the way of foreshadowing and it took Sanderson (through Viveena) beating us over the head with, 'Oh but their jokes were real!' repeatedly to act as an equivalent to, 'Hah! Gotchas! But I totes did it legit, don't worry guys'.

    Sanderson is better than this in later books, even the first Mistborn book you can find some really good -- yet still very subtle -- hints toward Kelsier's 'actual' plan as you go through.

    With this one... I suppose the conversation will reveal things now that you know it's a sham, but I'd be curious how much else there is to support it.

    I'll have to reread just for this reason at some time in the future to see, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete