Monday, July 2, 2012

Austen in August!

A few weeks ago, I was chattering with Adam of Roof Beam Reader on twitter about some reading events, and he said he was thinking about hosting a Jane Austen event in August. Count me in! I've been anxiously waiting for the announcement post, and I did a little jump and skip at work today when I saw it went up. :) And while my employees laughed at me, I jotted down the four books to pull off my shelf so I could write this post as soon as I got home.

Yes, I am very excited about reading some of Austen's works!

I only have one of her novels left on my 250 project list, so that one definitely made the cut. It is the only book I am going to make sure I read during the event. The other three below are good possibilities for reading, and since they're on my Classics Club list, I'll probably try to get to them if I can squeeze them in. Here is what I am reading:


  • Mansfield Park: I have only read this title once, and it was quite a few years ago. I'm looking forward to revisiting it, since I remember enjoying it.
  • Sanditon: I just picked up this copy a few months ago in my quest to get my hands on all her writing (I'm close...I think I am only missing The Watsons now...), and the premise of it sounds super interesting!
  • Selected Letters: I really want to make it a point to get to this one, since I think reading her letters will be absolutely fascinating! Austen was an interesting woman!
  • Catharine and Other Writings: This is actually a collection of her complete juvenilia, so I am hoping to spend some time with some of it. I haven't heard as much about these writings, so my curiosity is piqued!
I hope you'll consider joining in on the fun. To join, visit the Austen in August Sign-Up Page on Adam's blog and comment away! There is an Austen for everyone! :)

14 comments:

  1. curiosity is piqued, not peaked :)
    otherwise, great list! I look forward to your posts. I've only read one Austen title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, isn't that an embarrassing typo. ;) That's what I get for not reading it over before I posted!

      And only one! Egads! Austen is awesome!

      Delete
    2. Haha - I think you're just too excited, that's all. Typos usually come about by being dumb, lazy, or rushed - you're definitely neither of the first two, so nothing to be embarrassed about! :P

      Delete
  2. Another Austen in August reading event announced also at Indie Jane for those interested... welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear about it! Thanks for letting us know!

      Delete
  3. I've never read the letters or the juvenilia. . . but I got that exact edition of Mansfield Park for my birthday! I'm probably going to read a nonfiction book about JA, I have MANY on the shelves. Probably Jane Austen and Crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't have ANY non-fiction about Austen...hmmm...I should remedy that.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the collection of juvenilia, some of it is great, and her history of England is rather funny. I Sanditon is wonderful, it's such a pity it was never finished as what there is is so promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always breaks my heart to read the unfinished pieces left behind by authors...

      Delete
  5. I... have.... never.... read.... Jane.... Austen (donthitme!). I promise to read one of her novels in August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not been able to finish Mansfield Park yet - don't know why. Just never got into it. I will try to join in - probably read Persuasion as part of Austen in August. A couple of years ago, I quite enjoyed alliterative reading months (e.g. Female authors in February, or Mystery Writing in May), so, this works quite well!

    ReplyDelete