Sunday, July 8, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up for July 8, 2012: Lots of Book Loot. :)

Whew, this week has been HOT. Even my cats, like Sparty there on the right, have been pooped out from the heat and the sun. I know you southerners are laughing at me, since most of you are used to the heat, but I like living in the North where I don't feel like I'm melting when I step outside.

I'm sure that if I had a job where I worked inside, it wouldn't have been this bad the last week. But, I'm working at the park and since the park is OUTSIDE, well, I melted. And sweated. It doesn't help that we had to do a lot of manual and physical work in the park this week-cutting trees that fell from the storms, putting up fencing, and slamming metal stakes in the ground. All while the sun blared down. I have a whole new respect for those construction guys on the hot asphalt. We spent 40 minutes putting together a screen for our cricket field on the asphalt and we were SWEATING. Ugh.

Okay, enough about the heat!

I'm currently on day 2 of 4 days off (SCORE), so I have been a cooking, cleaning, exercising, and reading madwoman. :) Since Matt started his new job, I have had to take over pretty much everything here at home (he still takes out the garbage for me) because he's never here! Poor guy has been working 12 hour shifts, with an hour commute each way. I don't mind cleaning, but when I'm working on top of it (and the heat), sometimes I get lazy and say "I can do that tomorrow." Well, tomorrow comes and I have another excuse, etc, etc. So, I did a lot of the things I'd been putting off yesterday-like cleaning out the fridge, scrubbing the floors, and clearing away some clutter. I still have a few things to do today, but it's nice to be sitting here in a clean apartment.

I've also been cooking a little bit. I made a couple of batches of homemade chex mix to munch on and for Matt to take to work (he's diabetic and needs snacks at times to keep his sugar up. It's easier for him to grab something "munchable" to eat as he walks in the plant). I also made some banana bread and a chicken casserole-half that I froze for future use! I also mixed up a turkey sausage/egg bake for breakfast this morning, and it is currently in the oven! :) Look at me, being all domestic!

I also started my new exercise regime yesterday by doing an aerobic video and then going for a walk last night when the temps went back into the double digits. I decided last week to join Weight Watchers, and while I haven't gone to a meeting yet (I'll be heading in later on in the week), I'm trying to get myself geared up. I've had quite enough of being fat and unhappy with my body, so it's time to do something about it!

Alright, this post could go on for days-let's get to the good stuff!

In addition to reading a whole ton over the last week (you'll see reviews of Middlemarch, Far From the Madding Crowd and Agnes Grey this week-all for the Victorian event!), I've also been trying to solve my bookcase dilemma. You see, I've gotten a LOT of new books in the last month or so...so many that I'm almost embarrassed to show you! I do feel like I need to say that one was pre-ordered and a few are part of my birthday gift from Matt (my birthday is next Sunday!). There are quite a few pictures, mainly so I could show you the pretty covers. I do want to mention that some of the pictures are wonky. Blame my poor photography skills and the fact that the camera on my phone may have been damaged when I dropped said phone at the park on Friday and shattered the screen. :)


First up are three YA titles-from left to right:
  • In the Path of Falling Objects by Andrew Smith: My review for this one went up on Friday. I had originally downloaded the book to Homer, but I decided I wanted a hard copy to loan out.
  • Stick by Andrew Smith: This is the second book by Smith that I'm reading for Andrew Smith Saturdays. I was worried it wasn't going to show up, but when I checked outside my door at 6:00 yesterday, there is was!
  • Brotherband Chronicles #2: The Invaders by John Flanagan: Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series is one of my FAVORITE series ever, and I loved the first book in this new, parallel series. I pre-ordered this one back in January and I did a happy dance the day is showed up outside our door.

I'm calling this picture my "Randoms." From left to right:
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas: My copy disappeared! When I culled all my books last November, I looked EVERYWHERE for my copy of the book, but it was no where to be found (I did find my abridged version, so I passed it on to my younger sister who is going to write a post for the blog! Yippie!). So, I decided to buy a replacement copy. When I bought it, the bookseller asked me if "I was capable of reading the unabridged version." I slammed down a business card for the blog and told him to educate himself before making assumptions!
  • The Car Thief by Theodore Weesner: This is actually an ARC. I rarely accept them, but I couldn't turn this one down since it is set in Flint and Detroit! I love reading books set in Michigan, so I'm hoping to squeeze this one in this month.
  • Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson: I actually already read this one for a readalong, but I couldn't help throwing it in for the picture anyway.
  • Elantris by Brandon Sanderson: I picked this one up on a recent trip to the store, simply because I have been reading a lot of Sanderson for readalongs, and I couldn't resist!
All of the books that follow are books from the new Penguin English Library line. Throughout the rest of this year, they'll be publishing 10 books/month. They're fashioned after the clothbounds in that they have a similar look (designed by the same person), but since they're paperbacks, they're much more affordable (go look on Book Depository-you'd be surprised)! I also like that they picked some obscure titles in addition to more popular titles. You better believe I'm going to collect them all. :)


This picture turned out a weird shade-the books are a lot more vibrant in person!
  • Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy: I actually just finished this one on Friday night. I really enjoyed it!
  • Two on a Tower by Thomas Hardy: This is a really slim volume and one that I am anxious to get to at some point. It is on my Classics Club list, as are many of Hardy's novels, so I know I will read it eventually. 

Eliot titles!
  • Daniel Deronda by George Eliot: I didn't have a copy of this one (just on Homer), so it was kind of a no-brainer. And after I gave a copy of way and looked more into the story, I knew I had to buy a copy!
  • The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot: This book is FABULOUS. And while I already own a copy...well, I wanted this one. I really love the colors of this cover and I'm excited to read this edition!

Trollope!
  • The Warden by Anthony Trollope: I already read and reviewed this one for the event! It was another Classics Club title, and the first book in the Barsetshire series. I'm really happy that all 6 titles in the series are being published in these editions so they'll match (I told you I am ridiculous).
  • Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope: This is the second book in the series and the title that is actually on my 250 list. I really like the muted tones on this cover!

 The Unfamiliars-I'm not familiar with either title, but both are on my Classics Club list:
  • Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding: I still haven't read the title by Fielding that is on my 250 list (Tom Jones), but I have heard wonderful things about his writing! I also think this cover is pretty cute!
  • Evelina by Frances Burney: Another title and author I'm unfamiliar with! The fans on this one are also pretty adorable.

Dickens! I am REALLY excited that all of Dickens' novels are being published in this set. You bet I want them all!
  • Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens: I know very little about this title, but since I am going to make it point to read all of his novels, I know I'll get to it sooner rather than later.
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens: The copy I read in February I bought used and was literally falling apart by the time I finished, so I feel not at all guilty about doubling up. :) This has been my favorite title by Dickens (I doubt any other will beat it), and my favorite book of 2012 so far!
  • Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens: There really isn't a particular reason why I selected this one. I've already read it and I own it in its clothbound version. This is the point where you realize that I'm insane in my quest for owning pretty editions. I can't help it.


Victorians!
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell: I lent out my copy last summer to a girl at work and never got it back! I was hoping to squeeze in a reread during the event, but I doubt it. 
  • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins: I didn't own a physical copy of this one (do have a version on Homer), and since it is on my 250 list, I figured I should snatch it up. I was going to read this one for the event, but I might wait and save it for the fall. 
  • Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon: The more I hear about this one, the more I want to read it. It is also on my Classics Club list, so I know I'll read it soon. :) Also, I just adore the teapots and teacups on the cover.

Brontes!
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: I also own this one in the clothbound version, but I loved this book so much that the idea of carrying around a paperback copy also struck my fancy. I'll also be getting my hands on Villette when it comes out in the fall.
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte: Everyone who has read this one recently has raved about it, so I have been looking for a copy! I also LOVE the cover on this one-probably my favorite of all the titles I have!

 And lastly...
  • The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton: This is one of my favorite books, EVER, so it wasn't even a question of if I was going to buy it. :)
  • The Confidence-Man and Billy Budd, Sailor by Herman Melville: Adam has raved about The Confidence-Man so I am excited to read that one! I loved Moby-Dick, so I am hopeful that Melville has more amazing stories in store for me.
There you have it, all my new editions. :) I know it seems insane, and now that I've typed them all out, I feel like a snot for getting so many new lovelies for the shelves. But, there are worse things that I could spend money on and looking at all the new titles on my shelf just reassures me that I will have plenty of good reading ahead of me!

Tell me how your week has been!

15 comments:

  1. OH! OH! The Confidence-Man! YES! It's a genius book, my goodness. And nobody ever reads it! I hope you enjoy it (have you read Milton's Paradise Lost or Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Celestial Railroad - if you want a literary experience with Confidence-Man, it's a good idea to read those two texts first, but it's not necessary - just adds deeper meaning).

    I also have The Car Thief! I got it a month or two ago, but haven't read it yet. It sounds interesting and it has garnered a lot of praise. Just need to find the time.

    And good on you for your fitness/nutrition decision! Feeling good about yourself and confident in the way you look makes everything else better and makes even the more difficult things easier to manage. Best of luck - I'm a Tweet/Facebook note away if you ever need suggestions/motivation/scream time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those new editions - I have Huck Finn and it's just gorgeous. You have lots of good reading ahead :)

    I've started a new fitness regime too. It's early days and everything hurts at the moment but I'm sure it will improve with time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe someone asked you if you were capable of reading the unabridged version! I mean, not just because you're you (although obviously there's that!) but that's just rude in general! TSK is what I say!

    SO excited about the Penguin English Library books- I've just ordered The Moonstone, so I'm glad to see it looks good! Aaaaand, now I want them ALL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many pretty books! After my most recent bookshelf organization, I've decided I really can't get any more books...there's just not room. But they're soooo pretty! I understand why you want to collect them all.

    Good luck with the new exercise/fitness program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I prefer the North in the summer time. I think the only place not suffering from the heat is the Pacific Northwest, but we’re quickly gearing up for our own heat wave. No idea how I ever made it living in Texas for all those summers.

    Congrats on deciding to do something to help yourself get healthier! I started my own exercise regime back in May and have had good luck with My Fitness Pal, which is sort of like Weight Watchers but computer-centric and free.

    Your new books are beautiful. If I wasn’t trying so hard to clear off my shelves in preparation for moving after graduation, I might cave and purchase a couple of those titles.

    By the way, Allie, you sound so much happier in this week’s post than last week’s post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GAH, its been hot here too, so I totally feel you on that.

    Love the new books - I have Count of Monte Cristo on my kindle and I pick at it from time to time. However, I also on your recommendation picked up The Book Thief at the library last week and am halfway through it. ITS SO GOOD OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh geeze, I love those English Library designs-- first time I've seen them! I feel my wallet shuddering in fear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So...Elantris? VERY worth the money! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of my own. I currently have the library copy's out. It's almost as good as Mistborn! I was worried it would be more amateur since it's older than Warbreaker, but it's not at all. Very polished and absolutely brilliant. A little slow to start, but not in a way that makes you disinterested. Now if only I could find the energy to write a review about it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with exercising and Weight Watchers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am jealous. Very much so. It really says something about our addiction to books, doesn't it? You're buying titles you already have, I'm buying books even though my year has been a big annoying reading rut. But oh, well. We could be addicted to worse things :D
    I'm so looking forward to your thoughts on The Tenant of Wildfell Hall! FABULOUS book. Really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many good books! I loved loved loved Elantris! Just finished North and South and it was a good book for the Victorian craving I've been having. You're going to love the Moonstone! Planning to re read that one! Wish I had the possibility to buy as many books. So pretty! Someday...

    What was that bookseller talking about? I'm kind of shocked at his/her rudeness. Isn't their job to sell books, not be condescending?

    Good luck with your exercising! Besides, in my humble opinion, you should be positive about it and love your body no matter what! It keeps you motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Penguin Line is beyond gorgeous. You better believe that I have my sight set to add these to my shelves. Thank you for sharing them. I have The Car Thief for review as well. I hope that we both love it. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such gorgeous books! I cannot wait to expand my collection, definitely going to get The Mill on the Floss, Daniel Deronda, Tenant... and House of Mirth, I need to have them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy early birthday! Well done on working out, I'm so bad at that, but I'm trying. I love your response to the bookseller. What an idiot. I'm so jealous of your new paperback collection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a woman after my own heart. Buying books so that everything matches...it's exactly what I'm doing with Harper's recent editions of Agatha Christie. My excuse? All of my copies were mass market paperbacks that have type too small for me to read. LOL. I'm an off-and-on again participant in Weight Watchers. It is the healthiest way to start eating healthy. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete