Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book 28: Book Stats.

Title: Wuthering Heights
Author: Emily Bronte (1818-1848)
First Published: 1847

My Edition: Penguin Classics Hardcover (one of the new fabric bound editions)
Pages: 353

Emily was the second of the three Bronte sisters. Her big sister was Charlotte (author of Villete and Jane Eyre). Her younger sister, Anne, was also an author and wrote Agnes Grey. Emily also wrote poetry as well, but Wuthering Heights was her only known novel. When it was first published in 1847, it was published under the name of Ellis Bell. In 1850, Charlotte decided to republish the novel using her sister's actual name.

I have never read any of the work of the Bronte sisters. Surprising, isn't it? I suppose it has been fear that has kept me away. I am mostly afraid of not liking novels that I "should."

Eventually I will be reading Charlotte Bronte's Villete and Jane Eyre.

4 comments:

  1. What a great book! Hope you enjoy this one.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one either, but it's on my TBR as is Vilette!

    Best of luck, I hope you enjoy this, besides the only thing you have to fear is fear itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O I LOVED this book. I was gripped from the moment the ghost grabs his arm in the very beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my very favorite books but I know lots of people who can't stand it - I'm interested to see which side of the debate you come in on ... :)

    ReplyDelete