Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Salon: March 28, 2010.

This was definitely a more calm week than last week. I would say that it was needed!

The weather changes have really been bothering me. I am susceptible to migraines, and I have had quite a few this week. With fronts coming in, the temperature changing, my head has been pounding almost all week.

I am glad to say that starting tomorrow I got back to full time hours working at the park and my supervisor pay! Matt and I are really looking forward to me working more and I can't wait to have more time to be out of the house and doing something. I love working at the park!

Unfortunately, no sub jobs for this week. I rarely saw anything posted and when I did, it was something I am not qualified to sub in (special education resource rooms).

There are rumors circulating in Michigan that there is a bill in question forcing many teachers of retiring age to retire, or they will be forced to start paying their own benefits. As an unemployed educator, I'm not sure what to think about this. There are a LARGE number of retired-age teachers still working, so having those jobs open would mean great things for the thousands of people in my situation! But, I don't know if this bill is the right way to do that. Who knows!

In reading news this week, I had another great week. I managed to get through a Holmes novel and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. Woolf always takes a little more concentration than I think it will, but it is always worth it. I even went to the library to check some things out and get small paperback copies of each of the Holmes novels. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my big, hardcover edition of the complete Holmes stories and novels is too heavy to hold up. Unfortunately, my library is lacking in the individual novels. All they have are the big compilations which doesn't help my situation. I did find a large print edition of A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four. I read A Study in Scarlet out of it and the huge letters actually made my eyes go a little batty. All of the other novels and story collections I am trying to get through inter-library loan. We'll see how that goes.

I also made some big changes here on the blog. After an e-mail from blogger letting me know they were revising some templates and editing options, I decided to take advantage of their new 3-column look with a total blog makeover that is completely different from what I had (hopefully you noticed). It makes things easier for me since I don't have to scroll way down to see some vital pieces of information. I also think the template is little more custom to my blog-the whole "odyssey" theme. I am loving it, but expect to see a few small tweaks and changes as I get used to it.

I also added another page at the top. I have been getting a lot of e-mails recently with questions about my blog, so I figured I should answer them. Rather than have one big post, I thought it would be easier to have an easily seen page with the answers. Feel free to check it out!


This coming week I am hoping to get through another Sherlock Holmes novel, as well as The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I am also hoping to start one of the 2 Dumas novels I am reading for my stop on the Classics Circuit. My giveaway for two signed, hardcover copies of Carrie Ryan's books ends Thursday at midnight.

I am hoping for another good reading week, so keep your fingers crossed!

Happy reading everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Well, about the bill...not a good thing at all. Those of us that are not retiring will be expected to contribute 3% more in order to pay for all of the teachers that would take this retirement plan. With the knowledge that it will probably not be there for us in another 20+ years.MEA is recommending that we all work hard to get this voted down. Some of my friends have been teaching a long time but that doesn't mean that they can "afford" to retire. IMHO, teaching jobs will be scarce here in Michigan for a very long time. Our school has just pink slipped 6 teachers and the school year 2011 will be the worst yet to come..according to our superintendent. When the dust settles in two years, there will be very few school districts that will be left standing on their own two feet. Many will be taken over by the state.Contracts will be broken and starting wages will plummet. Scary time in education for sure! If you're interested in more information let me know and I'll forward emails to you from our MEA.

    Off the gloomy subject and on to better things...like reading!!
    Your week was filled with some great books!! I hope this upcoming week brings you more...and like you I'm fighting some sinus infection thing and I'm praying that we'll get the 70 degree weather they claim is coming our way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I love the new blog theme! I've had multiple sinus infections this winter season--so I feel your pain. Here's to Spring and Summer!

    ReplyDelete