Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Salon: March 14, 2010.

I am so glad that it is Sunday night and I am home at last! The last 4 days have been extremely busy for me. I finally got notice that my substitute teaching paperwork was finished and I was free to get sub jobs!

I managed to get a job for Thursday and Friday in a district a little north of where I live. It was for the same teacher both days. It also happened to be for ninth graders in U.S. History! I was pretty excited and had a great time both days. We got to talk about the 1950's, which is such a fun era. It was also nice to be back in a classroom and it solidified that I just need my own classroom.

I miss teaching.

I also worked Thursday night for the parks. We're going back to full-time hours starting on the 29th, which I am excited for, and I go back to being a supervisor (yay for more pay!). I am hoping I can maintain a balance between subbing as much as possible while still working for the parks as much as possible.

Yesterday I traveled to Battle Creek, Michigan (on the west side) for my best friend's wedding shower. It was a long drive (2 1/2 hours), but I had a blast. I then had to hurry back since Matt, Kyla, and I went to a concert!

It has been a long time since I have been to a live concert, and since it was our all-time favorite band, we had to go! And Muse didn't disappoint! They were amazing live! Matt and I saw them about 6 years ago while I was up at Michigan State. That was LONG before they were ever well-known and that concert had maybe 1000 people there. They were awesome then, but it was cooler to see them in such a large venue last night! The lights were amazing and the energy of the crowd was insane!

Muse is one of those bands that is better live than on record. If you are a fan, I highly suggest you try and catch their show. You will never forget it!

I also worked today for the parks and we tore down some walls at one of the shelters in preparation for the upcoming summer. It is getting warmer and our patrons are getting the springtime itch to have everything up and running again. The park goes back to being open 7 days a week tomorrow and I know everyone will be happy about that. I just can't wait till our other employees come back and summer goes into full swing.

So, to say I am tired is an understatement. I have been on the go since very early Thursday morning, so I cannot wait to go to bed tonight. Especially after losing an hour with the time change. However, I have a book to finish and brackets for March Madness to fill out. Matt told me I have to do them since in the pool he enters, a woman wins every year, and she is usually a wife or fiance of one of the guys. He told me that this year is our turn. So I told him I am going to pick my teams based on literary references.

This has been a great reading week. I finished Wuthering Heights and read all of Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. I also started Lord of the Flies by William Golding and am thisclose to finishing it. I told Matt I am not going to bed until I finish it.

I'm not sure what I am going to pick up next. A few weeks ago I attempted to pick out the next 25 or so books to read to give myself some direction, but I already derailed from it. Both O Pioneers and Alias Grace weren't on that list. I'm almost thinking I might read a play (not Shakespeare) for something different, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

I will leave you now with a video of a Muse performance of "Time is Running Out," one of my favorite Muse songs! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend!! I haven't been to Battle Creek in ages!! I'm glad that you enjoyed your sub job so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a play, read "W;t"! It's a one-sitting type of book and SO good. Congrats on the subbing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Muse! Sooo much! You're so lucky you got to see them, TWICE!

    Very nice with the subbing and I hope you get to do what you love VERY soon.

    ReplyDelete