Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book 28: Finished.

I really, really loved Wuthering Heights. It was not at all what I expected it to be, but that's okay-I loved it anyway.

I know that a lot of people cannot stand it, and I am sure it is for the very reasons I listed in my last post. All of the characters are horrible people. They all make decisions that leave the reader wondering, "Are they crazy? Stupid? or just extremely passionate?" I am thinking they are all of these things. Each character made me go crazy with anger. I kept yelling at them in my head to wake up and learn a little. They never did.

But I loved the book. It is a different portrait of love. Catherine and Heathcliff's love affair is certainly passionate and full of emotion. It is also nothing like what you would expect. It is violent at times, and scary-like watching two trains barreling towards one another on a track with no brakes. You want to look away, but you just can't.

The second half of the novel, which focuses on Catherine's daughter, is even more mind-boggling. If there ever was a spoiled little daddy's girl, little Catherine would be it. She is everything her mother was and more. Like her mother, she is also spoiled and passionate. She does what she thinks is best for herself, with hardly a care for the implication of her actions on those around her.

Overall, this is definitely an extremely powerful novel about just that. It is a good look at how our actions can harm those around us without our realizing it. It is about how we should be careful how we treat others around us because in the future, we could be at their mercy.

This is definitely a powerful novel and one that I will be sure to read over and over again.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Allie - came over to repay your visit and thank you for becoming a follower and have stayed longer than expected. I love your posts on Wuthering Heights and look forward to following your Odyssey progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's truly the mark of a great book for me. If I can see my self reading it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I'm so glad you are in the "love it" camp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely such a love it or hate it book. I loved it although I suspect I missed how despicable all the characters were the first time I read it and only picked up on that in later readings but my sister loathed it and was forever calling it Withering Heights. ;-)

    ReplyDelete