Monday, September 12, 2011

Announcing October 2011 Group Reads.

Group reads? What am I doing over here?

Well, since I stopped hosting readalongs back in June, I have missed them. I really enjoy reading as a community, but they were becoming slightly overwhelming (I blame the Atlas Shrugged readalong in particular). A lot of work goes on behind the scenes, and I was starting to pull my hair out. Also, a lot of people would sign up, and only a handful would finish by the reading dates. It became incredibly frustrating to host, and when I fell WAY behind in my Vanity Fair readalong, I knew I needed a long break.

But I miss them. I know that the process needs to be revamped. If I was feeling overwhelmed, I am sure that some of you participating did as well. I think the problem stems from the multiple scheduled posts that have to take place. For me, multiple posts are comfortable and easy to write, since I write in that format all the time. But I can see how stopping to write a post, scheduling a post ahead, etc, can be incredibly annoying for those not used to it.

So, I have a solution. Rather than call them "readalongs," it is easier to refer to them as Group Reads. The same fundamental idea still applies-we all read and post on the same book-but instead of checkpoints, we'll all post on the same day, weekend, or week to get rid of some of that stress.

On twitter and in some bloggy conversations, I have mentioned that there are two titles in particular that I want to read this fall. Both of them qualify for the R.I.P. challenge as well, so if you are participating in that, these might be right up your alley.

Here are the details:

Group Read #1: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The first novel I have chosen for a group read is Bram Stoker's Dracula. I have been trying to read it every fall since I started my project (that makes it sound longer than it is....only two years), but I really want to get through this one this year. I read this once before, as a junior in high school for a class, but I barely remember it (I do remember the worst project EVER for class. Our group dressed up like the characters from the book and "hunted" Dracula all over our downtown area).

To participate in this group read, all you need to do is leave me a comment below saying you want in. Then, you read the book. Then, you post anywhere from October 16-22 and link back here to my master post (see? I am the only one getting stressed out here, since I need to have that master post up).

During the week, as posts are linked up, you can visit and comment on other participants' posts to see what they thought of this horrifying vampire.

Again, to sign up, all you need to do is comment below, and maybe swipe my little graphic and spread the word.

Group Read #2: Dante's Inferno

The second book for our group read is Dante's Inferno. I attempted to read this one last summer in a readalong, but I honestly just forgot and haven't gotten around to it since. I am also going to get to books 2 and 3, but that's for a later time.

Like the Dracula group read, signing up is easy and so is participating. To sign up, all you need to do is comment below saying you want in. Then read the book! When you are finished, make a post any time between October 23 and 29. Link that post back here on my master post, and you are all set! Of course you can look back here over the course of the week to see what everyone else thought, but I was force you (it does make it WAY more fun).



So those are my October Group Reads! I hope you will think about joining in on one or both of them! Spread the word and Read On!!

33 comments:

  1. I'm in for Dracula! I will hopefully comment on Inferno, but I'm not planning to re-read it this fall. I like the idea of having a group of days when everyone can post--it seems to work out for other group reads I've watched and/or participated in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already read these two, so I won't be joining in. I did, however, want to reassure you that they are absolutely fantabulous! I really love both of these books, so I think you are in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this way of doing it. It does take some stress off. I joined some of your readalongs in the past but I could never keep up with the posts.

    I would like to join the group for Dracula. It's been on my TBR for a while also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really in the mood for either of these at the moment but i fully support this new system and hopefully it is not too stressful for you either! I only write one blog post and I had a hard time trying to write more than that for readalongs (so that the second time I joined I only wrote at the end anyway). I'll definitely check out the posts though and may join in the future, perhaps 2012 will be a good year for me reading classics! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want in for dracula. This will be my first group read....I'm in school so I hope I don't fall behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. My October is going to be crazy so I'll pass on this round. If you perhaps do another round, I'll be likely to join. I hope everyone enjoys it. I've been meaning to read Dracula forever. I'm looking forward to those posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a HUGE fan of The Inferno and personally think Robert Pinsky's translation is the best! I read Dracula in May and wasn't terribly impressed, though. :/ In any case, if you do the rest of the Divine Comedy later on, I'll join you for those, but I just read the other two this year so I will skip them for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Dracula school project actually sounds kind of humorous, although I'm sure it wasn't at the time. Count me in for Dracula!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had both of these books on my shelves for years (and years) but still haven't read either. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I ALWAYS read some kind of "scary" book in October so, guess what, I'm in for both!

    I'm going to e-mail you today as well- as I have something else to discuss with you, which pertains to this.. possibly...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sooo excited! I know, I'm one of those people who usually bails out, but I don't want to be. :((

    I've had Dracula on the TBR for AGES, so I'm shooting for that one. Ready to put it to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read DRACULA!! I'm that person who can't seem to get enough of vampires (but I can't seem to be able to make myself read a lot of the newer massed produced books. . .)This has been on my TBR list for a while; now I just have to find the box in which it is packed! Thanks for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely in for Dracula- was planning on reading it for RIP anyway, so I can tie them both in together (cheeky... hehe).
    I have been a bailing out person in the past, and I definitely feel bad about it, so I'll make up for it with this, I promise! And don't stress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dracula sounds like a good October read. Count me in! I need (stress free) motivation like this as I get back into my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Allie! YAY for being back with the group reads! I am so excited!

    Put me down for Dracula, please. I would seriously read 'Inferno' but I don't have a copy... I could scrounge one up, probably...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wanting to read Dracula...count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so want to join you in one of these! September and October have been eaten up by reading commitments, but I've decided to cut back on those significantly after my current batch so that I have more time to do things like this. I hope I'll get to join in for November, maybe. I've taken a much looser approach with my Reading Buddies project, and it seems to work. Having to post at several specific times can be stressful! I hope this approach works better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I've been thinking about it, and I think I might have time to re-read Inferno also. I won't guarantee it, but it is on my re-read list, so we'll see! (Dracula is still a definite yes.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Count me in for Dracula!! My book club was going to read this this month, but the guy that was going to host it had to drop out, so it got shelved to possibly next year.

    I'm super excited about another read along. I kind of want to reserve a copy now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in tentatively for Inferno, depending on how the month goes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sign me up for dracula

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Allie! This sounds fantastic. I've been told to read Dracula many times now, and secretly I've been waiting for Halloween season. Count me in for both books!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For those of you who have signed up (or are thinking about it), head to the link below for some updated information about a giveaway that will be going along with this Group Read! :)

    http://tinyurl.com/42fcsvv

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds awesome! I have both books and haven't read them yet so I have no excuse not to jump in on both!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in for Dracula! I haven't read it in years so I can't wait to read along :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm in for The Inferno! I've read Dracula semi-recently and don't feel like reading it again. I haven't read The Inferno since high school, where I struggled through it. So I'm going to get a new translation and hopefully it will go better this time! I love the idea of this new format for 'Group Reads'!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok, you know what? I discovered my library has an audio edition with a narrator who seems good. I still have a ton of books to get through in the next month or so, but I'm going to try really hard to make Dracula one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dracula all the way; I am in :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Inferno has been on my TBR shelf for years so I'm in for that. Have read Dracula a couple of times but may do a reread for this. Am definite on Inferno though. (Convoluted comment is convoluted)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in for Dracula too...I've read it twice for classes at some time or another but wanted to read it for R.I.P V last Fall and didn't. I'm determined to read it for sheer enjoyment this October! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm definitely up for Inferno - I've been meaning to read this for 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read part of Dracula years ago when I was about 6/7 and gave myself nightmares for years (I know, I'm a terrible wimp)! Since then, I've given it a wide berth but perhaps I can finally brave it with some company :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've finished reading Inferno, and first - thank you for this group challenge! So glad to have read it. Just put my post up - should I link here or wait for you to put seperate post up as you did with Dracula?

    ReplyDelete