Today is September 1st. Two years ago, on September 1, I sat down and cracked open my college copy of Homer's Odyssey. I began this whole process with a feeling of excitement, trepidation, and yes, a little doubt. I really felt back then that I would give up shortly through the process.
However, here I am, STILL reading a bookish diet of classics. Sure, I have meandered a few times into other areas (for example, last November I read ONLY children's classics). But, I am still reading classic after classic. I have added quite a few authors to my "favorites" list, as well as given second and third chances to authors I still don't really care for (that would be Dickens).
Most of all, I have grown a lot in this process. While I don't feel "smarter," I do feel like I have a lot of things stored up that many people do not. I feel like I have something to offer. And quite frankly, I feel bad for all those people and school districts who don't see that.
Anyway, two years ago I began with The Odyssey, so it is fitting that I give away a copy, right? Here it is:
Yep, it is another Penguin clothbound (I can't help it). But it wants to go home with one of you, and for this one, you need to make sure you answer the question I ask, or I definitely won't count your entry! Got it?
Here are the rules:
- The giveaway ENDS Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 11:59 EST.
- You must be 13 or older to enter.
- You must live in the U.S. (internationals-go see giveaway 3!)
- You can only enter once.
- You do not have to "follow" or subscribe (but do if you so feel the desire)
- You must leave your e-mail in your comment so I can contact you if you win.
- If you win, you have 24 hours to respond or I will choose a new winner.
- In your comment/entry below, answer the following question: If you embarked on a literary odyssey of your own, what five books would you put on your list? (they don't have to be classics, but they should be books that will "define" you in some way, or have a significant impact on you).
- Winner will be chosen randomly using random.org