Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Want to Reread.

I couldn't resist this week's topic for Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. I don't participate every week, but when I see a topic and get all excited inside, I know I need to participate! If you decide you would like to as well, visit their blog (linked above) and join in on the fun!

I am actually a huge fan of rereading. Well, I was until I started this process. And while I am occasionally rereading a book or two that I've read before, I am not doing it at the rate I used to. Some of my books have been read so many times that they look quite beat up (that is saying something, since I am very nice to my books).

Anyway, here are ten books that I would love to reread. Some are coming up on my list, and some I finished already. There might even be one or two that aren't classics! Surprising, I know!

1. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins: I read these all in a row when Mockingjay came out, but I really want to reread them with the movie coming out in March. I keep eying them on my bookshelf, so maybe I'll cave in later this winter.

2. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky: This was the second book I completed for my project. I think I got through it on excitement. :) Now that I have read more by him, I think I would appreciate more of the writing and thought with another read. I also have a new translation, so this one I definitely want to try again.

3. Germinal by Emile Zola: I LOVED this book. I thought about it for months after I read it. I have seen a few other reviews since I finished it back in 2009 and every time I see someone mention Zola, I want to reread it.

4. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: I made the mistake of watching the movie a few weekends ago, and while it was certainly wonderful (young Christian Bale!), it made me want to read the book again.

5. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell: I also made the mistake of watching this movie (for the first time!) about a month ago and it also made me want to dive back in. The first time I read this, I was so enthralled that I tore through it in record time. I would love to read it a little slower the next time around.

6. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood: I read this one when I was in college and absolutely loved it. It is on my list, but I have been "saving" it for near the end. But someone out there was hosting a readalong of it, and I had to fight everything within me not to join in.

7. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling: This is the longest I have gone without reading any of the HP titles. I think a small part of me is dying inside. I used to reread them every year, even as the new ones came out. The last time I read the series was in the summer of 2009, right before I started blogging.

8. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton: This is another one of my favorite books that I read almost every year, and like HP, I haven't read it since before my project began. This is another title I am saving for near the end, and I really hope I don't break down before then.

9. Villette by Charlotte Bronte: I really, really loved this one. And since I read Jane Eyre back in April, I want to reread this one to make sure it was really as excellent as I remember.

10. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy: Okay, I know I just read this one in January and February, but I read it so fast that parts are already hazy. I was attempting to reread it again, but I set it aside months ago...and I still want to read it again. Crazy, right?


So what books do you want to reread?

22 comments:

  1. Great list. I would love to reread the Hunger Games and Harry Potter. I have never read Little Women...I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list! Crime and Punishment is on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reread Little Women and Gone With the Wind, too! I'm always a little wary with GWTW though, because I tend to get hooked and can't stop reading - and that is a big book. Great list, filled with a good mix of classics (to be expected) and contemporary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same with GWTW - I can't ever put it down.

    I'd like to re-read Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson, and, like you, War and Peace because I read it far too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these books I need to read for the first time... but I'm with you on Little Women, and I had Gone With The Wind on my list too because oh my gosh the amazingness of it! I love your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love so many of the books on your list, especially Gone with the Wind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've three books on your list that I reread with regularity--The House of Mirth, War and Peace, and Villette (a monumental novel!).

    I've reread a lot of Dickens, Hardy, and Austen too. I'm also beginning to realize how important many of the ancient Greek classics are to me, and I can see rereading Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides on a fairly regular basis. I also love picking up Jean Auel's Earth's Children series, and the intense novels of Cormac McCarthy periodically. Interesting post! Cheers! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of these I've read, others not yet. I am a huge fan of re-reading Harry Potter -- I've re-read them all at least once. Others, a few times. I have not read Germinal yet, but I've wanted to ever since I watched the movie, With Honors (stars Joe Pesci, Brendan Frazier). It looks great and is on my classics hit list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My classics book group just discussed Germinal last week. I loved that book; I'm not sure if I'm ready to re-read it just yet, but I am interested in reading more Zola.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to re-read the Hunger Games books because I think I just read them so fasat the first time. I re-read all of HP this year and it was just wonderful to be back in that world. GWTW is on my list as well. You make me want to read Germinal and Villette immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't like the first Hunger games or GWTW and I wasn't crazy about The Handmaid's Tale. Haven't read Villette yet. Harry Potter I'd like to reread but I'll probably wait until Raisin is much much older and read them with him. (I tried last year and just couldn't get past volume 4.) But the others I'd be interested in rereading. I think C&P would top my list. I've read it about 3 or 4 times and I have loved it better each time. Followed by Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite novels. I've read it twice already. It'll be one of those books I'll read again and again throughout my life. Love it.

    For classics, I put Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre on my Top Ten list to reread. I also really want to read Rebecca (it just got edged out of top ten. I had to make room for a YA to add variety). That was such an amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read enough books to come up with ten I'd reread. :-( But I love rereading, and I'd definitely re-explore the ones you've listed above, that I've read.

    (No Homer?)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely ready to reread 'Crime and Punishment' and 'War and Peace'. And 'Germinal'.

    Not 'Harry Potter' (until the kids are of an appropriate age anyway!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, I want to reread GWTW!

    I reread The Handmaid's Tale for class my freshman year of college. It wasn't as good as my first time reading it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I still have to read Germinal for the first time. Bad me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will reread two Saul Bellow novels: The Adventures of Augie March, and Herzog; also, Philip Roth's American Pastoral (a great book but a painful read) and Cormac McCarthy's violent vision of the American west Blood Meridian.
    Press on!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm currently re-reading Crime and punishment! Agree with the Harry Potter series, Gone with the wind...you can never grow tired of them. Also The Hunger games trilogy was so much better than I expected. Have you read Nana by Emile Zola? I think you'd like that one too. I'm going to make an effort and read Germinal in French so I'm really looking forward to that particular book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "This is the longest I have gone without reading any of the HP titles. I think a small part of me is dying inside." -- O.M.G. I literally have to physically force myself not to re-read these books every single year. (Seriously, I hide the books from myself - buried in the bottom box of books underneath many other boxes of books in my closet). I've read them so many times and last year re-read them all for the big movie ending + to finally review them properly... and still, I feel completely weird that I haven't read any of them this year. The problem is, I can't read them out of order ...and if I read one, then I'll read two..and three... etc. Ugh!

    Oh, and of course I agree with you about War and Peace as well. So amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am currently a very bad rereader. I've never really done it, mostly because with so many new books waiting for my attention, it's hard for me to reread what I've already read. Lately, though, I've been rereading classics I "hated" in high school but hardly remember. It's encouraging to find I actually enjoy them much more the second time through! I'm also slowly trying to reread books from my childhood that I loved.

    I know someday I'll reread Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, Graceling, most of the Margaret Atwood I've read, classics like Jane Eyre and I Capture the Castle, and amazing fiction favorites like Cloud Atlas. I'm starting to get excited thinking about it, which is a step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never read any Zola, but I've seen a couple good reviews recently (plus your praise here), so I'm clearly going to have to change that. I need to reread Little Women, too--it's been on my to do list ever since Jillian read it last year. And now that you mention it, I want to watch the movie again. If only I knew where I put it...

    ReplyDelete
  22. The overwinter season is emphatically not the time to be confident to get ugg on sale as this is when there is often a charge to get a pair. Nonetheless, if you just recognise where to look, there are also good sale probabilities during this flavour and this is in shops that are express to abolish old lines or those that are tough to additional their store to get in a large quantity of consumers. But the well time to shop for ugg on sale is truly ahead of wintertime sets in or proper immediately after the holiday charge.
    The young guys are still below Police Custody awaiting a so-called trial. We just want the planet to know the injustice being perpetrated by Muslims cabal in Nigeria. One particular of the soldiers wore a Liard-an Islamic armband charm. You can choose Ugg boots for casual to fashionable walks. They are presently giving discounts at chosen item at typically 30% per item. They also provide shipping with 100% quality guarantee and cost guarantee sales tax.
    You ought to constantly be on the lookout for either offline promos or sales provided by stores promoting ugg goods. This way, you will be in a position to sustain on ahead of the other individuals when it comes to finding your personal pair of ugg on sale. Even though this can be tiring and time consuming, just guess of the reward that you can reap by becoming vigilant constantly,
    She disappeared all household scissors from then on, and in no way genuinely got to that place exactly where we could just have a good "Remember when, laugh about it. I truly did use a pudding bowl on my youngsters heads and bribed them with modest chunks of Sky Bar to keep nevertheless. Clearly I want some education and thank god for the net,
    This charming of classic uggs retailer boots outlet sale continues to be recognized by people all more than the globe, so the name of these kinds of boots is also extremely renowned today. With no the greatest materials and fine [url=http://www.dalinsell.co.uk/]ugg Boots sale[/url]
    workmanship, this [url=http://www.mpboots.co.uk/]cheap ugg Boots[/url]
    type of standard ugg boots outlet uggs outlet can not own high good quality along with higher recognition these days, so we can not ignore any particulars of producing them when we ought to walk into them. We can set this couple of UGG Scalloped Moc Boots for instance
    If you have small time to efforts to make or choose gifts, but still want send presents to pals or colleagues, you can select some typical presents to express your thanks. Frequent Thanksgiving presents could be bouquets, gift baskets, delicious chocolates, bottles of wine and so on. Though these concepts are kind of stale, they all work properly and www.dalinsell.co.uk
    keep well-known.
    Naturally you will discover merchants that stock the real Ugg boots also. Much more Ugg boots surely are a generic expression in Australia, in which boots created form sheepskin, kangaroo skin and emu skins can also be known as Uggs. Nevertheless, they might be recognized by other names this sort of as Roxy or Whooga.

    ReplyDelete