Sunday, September 4, 2011

Joining RIP.

You know, when I see fun things that other bloggers are participating in, I feel this incredible urge to join in. I like trying new things, exploring literature with others, and broadening my horizons. And, as this is my third fall season as a book blogger, this is the third time I have seen the RIP (R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril) Challenge out and about. And I have stayed far, far away from it.

I am a huge chicken. Silly things scare me. After seeing Signs in the theater, I slept with my lights on and a cup of water by my bed for a week (I was 16 or 17). Matt got mad at me when we went to see King Kong because I about ripped his arm off. The last time I went to a haunted house (I was 18), I screamed so much I started crying hysterically and I had nightmares for weeks. Even trailers for scary movies played during commercials freak me. Matt, of course, thinks it's hilarious, until I force him to sleep with the lights on. Needless to say, I avoid anything scary.

So of course I am going to join in on RIP, a challenge dedicating to reading some scary, dark, and gothic stuff. Coupled with the new Classics Circuit coming up, Matt is in for some bright nights. :) But the fact is, I have some titles I have been avoiding on my list (because of the scary), and I need to just read them. This is a good time. So, I am declaring my intention to join in.



I am signing up for "Peril the First," which means I am reading four books of scary nature. Here are the titles I will be choosing from:
  • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker (I might just turn this one into a readalong)
  • The Divine Comedy by Dante (mainly Inferno will count towards this one)
  • The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Hamlet by William Shakespeare
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • maybe some other Shakespeare?
I also have a collection of Edith Wharton ghost stories I just bought, as well as some Poe, but we'll see how scared I do get. And Matt told me to tell you that he demanded I delete the Dickens title off the list. Just because I am scared of it doesn't mean it fits the challenge (boo hiss on him).

I hope you'll all join in on the fun.

Bring on the nightmares! ;)

20 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, I really want to do this too. Just wrote about it, even!! But every time I commit, I immediately stop wanting to do whatever the challenge is. Decisions!!

    Signs was terrifying. Still scares me.

    (Hamlet! Great choice! Rebecca suggested Macbeth, too?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a fun challenge! I've been wanting to read The Moonstone for ages, but just haven't gotten around to it. Can't wait to read your review if you choose to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I've seen this one for the last 3 years too ... and like you, I've always been a little too chicken to join in. This is the year. I'm planning on reading some Poe, Janeology by Karen Harrington; The Time Traveler's Wife; and a few others.

    Love the idea of reading Dickens because it scares you! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, I have read most of those books on your list and they are fabulous. Last year I read the Virago anthology of 20th century ghost stories and there were some really good ones in there, including some by Edith Wharton. Sounds like a fun challenge, I might have to check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound similar to me. I can't stand being scared. Even psychological movies freak me out and give me nightmares....

    None of the books you mention are scary (Haven't read Inferno yet, though). But I did hate Dracula. Not because it was scary just dumb. But then, I don't care for vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think what you are planning to read is scary... More atmospheric than anything...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that I enjoy being scared (in fact, I am planning on an all night freak-out fest on Halloween reading creepy books because my husband will be away on a dental school interview) but I am just like you in getting scared of the trailers during commercial breaks. A lot of the things they play are TOO scary. I don't want to see any creepy little demons while I'm watching a nice happy show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so going to join it.

    P.S. I have Edith Wharton ghost stories too and will add them to the challange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well if it makes you feel any better, Wilkie Collins isn't really scary, more like detective, The Inferno reads more like allegory, and Jekyll & Hyde reads more like science fiction. I get creeped out easily, but none of those books got me creeped out at all. They're all great RIP reads too, and I'll join you for the rest of the Divine Comedy, which I think I already said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, and Dracula? Not at all scary. I actually giggled at how ridiculous it was all the way through. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I was the only one that sleeps with the lights on! "Dracula" is amazing though not so scary. Maybe the story was so familiar to me before I read the actual novel (I've even been to "Dracula's" castle before that).

    I have the "Moonstone" on my desk waiting to be read. Also, the ones you selected won't be as frightening as a modern horror story (usually those are full of gore, yuck) but it depends on the reader also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Moonstone is a good read just read it recently! have fun with RIP!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a big challenge person, but people are SO psyched for this one - it has me convinced. I'm not a big fan of horror either...definitely can't read scary books at night...but, like Amanda said, Collins isn't scary, more detective novel with some supernatural elements tossed in at times. I'm planning to read Seven Gables too, can't wait to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear, I hope you don't have too many nightmares! I always find books less scary than films because the images are just from my own brain so I can disregard them... But yeah, they're still pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I'll be taking part in the challenge for the first time. And your post has given me some ideas on choosing the books.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some great books on your list! I did find Dracula a bit creepy in parts, but mostly not that scary. The Moonstone isn't really scary either. I highly recommend the Wharton ghost stories, they're some of my favorites.

    And which was the Dickens you crossed off the list? I'm thinking about reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood which is pretty short -- mostly because it's unfinished, which might be really frustrating. I'm also tempted by Our Mutual Friend which has mysterious elements, so it would fit the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you want to read The House of the Seven Gables with us!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool! I've had The House of the Seven Gables on my TBR stacks for AGES. At least 15 years. So I think this year might actually be the time to read it. It's tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Moonstone is on my list for this challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list! I'm doing all classics and non-fiction this year for RIP so I don't think it will be too scary. In fact, The Mysteries of Udolpho seems to just be atmospheric so far. It works!

    ReplyDelete