Saturday, September 3, 2011

Book 110: A Lesson Before Dying and Book Stats.

Title: A Lesson Before Dying
Author: Ernest J. Gaines (1933-)

First Published: 1993
My Edition: Vintage Paperback (at left)
Pages: 255

Other Works Include: Of Love and Dust (1967), A Long Day in November (1971), A Gathering of Old Men (1983)

I had to read this novel in my eleventh grade English class. The other novel we read in that class was The Catcher in the Rye which I loved and everyone else in the class hated. Our roles reversed for this one.

And it wasn't that I really hated it, it was more that I felt the message of the novel was being shoved down my throat. Plus, we had to watch the movie. And the Oprah special. It was just too much for my eleventh grade self.

I suppose it is time to give it another chance, since it is on my list and all. This is another relatively recent title on the list (remember, my list was made based on AP reading lists, top 100 lists, and opinionated people). This was one of those "modern classics" I needed to revisit.

I am feeling a little "meh" about diving back in, but I am in a good reading mood, so I should fly right through it, right?

3 comments:

  1. Who knows you might just like it this time. I never re-read books so anyone who does that regularly is a saint in my eyes. Especially Dickens as we have a strained relationship for some reason.

    "The Catcher in the Rye" usually sparks strong feelings. People either hate it or love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember what this is about? But it's on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this and liked it. I can see how the message could have been seen as shoved down your throat. On the other hand, there is no "light" way to get the message across. It is such a tough story and topic. It is so real and heart-wrenching. I didn't read it in school though. I read it when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete