Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Book 114: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Book Stats.

Title: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

First Published: 1886
My Edition: Signet Classic (at left)
Pages: 144

Other Works Include: Treasure Island (1883), Prince Otto (1885), Kidnapped (1886), The Black Arrow (1888), Catriona (1893), as well as various short story collections and co-written novels

I am still working my way through the massive Moby-Dick, and while I love Melville's masterpiece, I need a little breather before diving back in. I decided it might be a good idea to grab a book off my R.I.P. Challenge list to get working on it.

I read Stevenson's Treasure Island last month and really LOVED it, so I was excited to get to it anyway. I have a huge pile of his work that I picked up at all those book sales, so I am hoping this is just as positive as Treasure Island was.

Hopefully, given Darlyn's recent review, this will be a fast, fun read that I will absolutely LOVE. I read the first chapter last night and only set it down because I was exhausted....so who knows, maybe I'll even finish it tonight!

If you are curious, here are my thoughts on Treasure Island.

8 comments:

  1. This is one of my VERY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER! It's cheesy and a shilling shocker, but has its own undercurrent of depth, and the tone and atmosphere are just fabulous. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this book, so I hope you do too! I still haven't read Treasure Island, so I should probably get on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is sitting on my bed, waiting to be read! Not sure if I'll get to it soon; it's more on my mind than on the to-read list. Perfect for the season! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I erad and reviewed this book earlier this year and I really enjoyed it too. It really wasn't what I expected in smoe ways, but it was very weel thought through book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read it! I hope it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pretty sure that I've only read the children's abridged version of this when I was younger. I've wanted to read the original version but haven't gotten around to it. Although, I have fond memories of watching the Wishbone episode that featured this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another book I need to read (and the season would be perfect right now, but I don't know if time will allow). I was listening to the musical adaptation of this the other day and realized I had no idea how close the musical and the book are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking to my review. :) I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on this one. I thought this book ended too soon.

    ReplyDelete