Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fall Reading Plans/Goals:

In case you haven't noticed, I am really driven by lists. I like making lists. I like checking things off them, and I like to think about the possibilities that a list provides.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that I am making a list of Fall reading goals. Even though I didn't quite hit my Summer reading goals like I wanted to, it doesn't matter. I'm still going to make more!

I have discussed some of my plans in various places and over numerous posts, so I really want to compile everything into one place. It'll be much easier for me to check up on myself and see how I am doing. And for the purposes of this, I am considering fall up until Thanksgiving (last week or so in November). Funnily enough, that is also when I'll finish up my subbing assignment. It is about 12 weeks, so I am keeping that all in mind while I make my plans. And I am sure I will be over-ambitious, as usual.

Challenge Reading:
  • Victorian Literature Challenge: I am rocking this challenge. I set a goal to read 10 titles, and I have read 8 this year. I would really like to knock out the last 2 so I complete at least one challenge. I am thinking I would most like to read Dracula and Wives and Daughters. There are some other possibilities as well, so this will be easy to achieve.
  • Shakespeare Challenge: As of now, I have only read 1 play this year, and that was back in JANUARY. I have mentioned that I am thinking of reading only Shakespeare for the October 22nd readathon, and now I decided that I am officially going to do it. :)
  • Adam's TBR Challenge: I really want to complete this one, but I am mad at myself for picking such poopy books to read! :) I have only read 5, but I have 7 left and that includes Nicholas Nickleby, Pamela, and Lord Jim, all books I have no desire to read. But, I need to make some progress. I would really like to cross 5 more off the list, but that is probably not going to happen.
  • RIP Challenge: I just posted about this one on Sunday, but I am joining in last minute. I am reading 4 titles, and some of them will overlap into the Victorian Challenge and Shakespeare Challenge. Easily doable.
Blog Features and Events:
  • Readathon: I posted on this one above, but I will definitely be participating and I am only going to read Shakespeare. Should be a fun time!
  • Transcendentalist Month: I think I posted about this one in a Weekly Wrap-up, but halfway through October this launches and I will be participating. I already know I am going to read Walden and "Civil Disobedience," as well as some Emerson.
  • Classics Circuit Gothic Lit: I LOVE the Classics Circuit, so I always try and participate if possible. I am especially excited for this one. I think I am going to step outside of my list books and read some short stories for the tour.
Other Goals:

In a recent Top Ten Tuesday post, I outlined some of the other titles I really want to read this fall. I am already in the middle of one of them (Moby-Dick) and I have plans (up there) to read quite a few more.

I am really craving some big books. I read primarily shorter works this summer and I really feel the need to mull over some chunky titles. I'm not sure how this will work out for me with teaching and all, but I am optimistic I'm going to be able to do it all. :)

As for numbers?? I would really like to hit 140. That is probably way too ambitious, but I am going to go there!


Well, there are my goals. Insane, right? I doubt I'll complete most of them, but at least I have a plan. All that is left to do is pull a stack of titles off the shelves and sit them on my nightstand!

Oh, I also wanted to ask...I am thinking of restarting some readalongs, since I abandoned them back in June. I wanted to do one for Dracula and The Divine Comedy for sure. Maybe even another Dickens title? Anyone want in?

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm usually pretty motivated by lists too, but over the last six months or so, I've LOVED living with no lists at all. It's been great! The more I get away from them, the happier I am. I'm sure I'll swing the other direction at one point too, but man for now it's great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about the lists. I am doing the Vict. Lit Challenge too and I just finished my 10th book. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie! A small correction: Transcendentalist Month is scheduled to start in mid-November, not mid-October. :-) I'm glad you're joining us!

    All Shakespeare for the readathon? What a great idea! I'm not sure I'll be doing that (might burn my retinas!!), but I'm really, really looking forward to participating. I think the readathon is my favorite reading event. Hopefully nothing interferes. :-)

    I love a list too. Sad for me -- as soon as I make a list I become unmotivated to complete it, because it starts to feel like an assignment. I think it's the Marianne in me (as opposed to your Elinor.) I need, and want, to get over it. Because I really do love lists!

    I'm craving some big books, too!! I might join you for Dracula, but don't count on me, in case. I have a lot to catch up on from the last couple months, before I could get started...

    Happy fall!! So much to look forward to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would tentatively like to do a Dracula readathon, but then I said that for Vanity Fair and The Idiot and I was a big failure there (yeah, sorry about that :s) but I am also taking part in RIP and I do want to read Dracula for that... So yeah, that was a big inconclusive ramble! Sorry about that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Classics Circuit, too, and I'll join you in a Dickens title. I've read Bleak House, and A Tale of Two Cities, were you thinking of any title in particular?

    I was one (probably of many) who nominated you for the BBAW award in Literary Blog; so nice to see you progress to the short list! Wishing you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I adore making lists. Unlike you, I am completely incapable of actually following them. Making goals rocks, fulfilling them in any sort of orderly fashion is clearly not my forte. :) See now I want to make a list and later feel guilty for not completing it....

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss the Victorian literature challenge!!! Argh! I'm sure it's much too late, so sad. I'll have to be on the lookout for one next year. I'm currently reading Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon and I am so loving it, can't wait to finish it and post my review.

    If you're looking for a readalong suggestion, I'd love to read another Dickens -- I still have The Mystery of Edwin Drood and Our Mutual Friend on the TBR shelf (and they both qualify for RIP!!). How about one of those?

    And I was trying for 120 books this year but I don't think I'll make it. I should crack 100 easily though. I love chunky books too, which tends to slow me down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another ambitious post! Everything sounds so tempting,though. I would be happy to join you on a Dracula readalong. I just read the Dante a year ago, so I wouldn't want to re-read it just yet, but I would definitely follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder where are you joining Victorian Literature Challenge because I do want to join it.

    Will you please email me it's information over;
    Le.Vanity.Victorienne@gmail.com ?

    P.S. I adore your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PAMELA. My most hated book of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading about people's reading plans, even if I can never get my act together to come up with one!

    ReplyDelete