Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBAW: On Reading.

Today we are were asked to talk about our reading habits and how blogging has changed them.

Personally, I know that my reading habits have changed dramatically since starting A Literary Odyssey. Before I began blogging here, I read a lot of YA, fantasy, science-fiction, and general fiction. I would read books in short spurts and as fast as I could. I would only read one title at a time and I never, ever wrote about what I read (unless it was for a class).

A lot of that has changed since starting my little corner of the book blogging world. Nowadays, it is a rarity for me to be reading only one title. I gradually grew into the habit of reading more than one book at a time in the last year or so as commitments for events started to take place. I try not to be in the middle of more than three books at a time, but I think this has helped my reading. Sometimes it is better to step away from a book for a bit before coming back to it.

In recent months, I have also started reading ebooks. I got Homer, my Nook Color, back in July, and since then I have read a couple of books on him. While my reading is a little slower on him, I do enjoy the different format and portability of it all. I also like Project Gutenberg and the thousands of free classics available for download. With Homer, I have opened new doors for my reading, but he will never take the place of my paper books.

As for book acquisitions, I am just as bad as I ever was. I buy a lot of books. It is a problem and I acknowledge that completely. I like having new titles on my shelf waiting to be read, and I am completely okay with my obsession. Everyone I know makes fun of me for my "book habit," but I don't think it will ever stop. Too bad. :)

The biggest change in my reading is a direct result of my project here. With reading classics, sometimes I need to do a little research outside the book so I don't sound like an idiot when I am talking about it. This often leads to interesting conversations in posts, as well as some frustration on my part. But the background research has really helped me discover the good bits in some length pieces, like War and Peace and Atlas Shrugged.

As you can see, book blogging has been a good thing for me, as it has broadened my horizons in regards to what I read and when, as well as my own self-education. I am a much better reader now than I was a few years ago. While I read less books, I am reading better quality more often (although, I still love a good fun read every now and then). I can also see a marked improvement in my writing and vocabulary (I blame Dickens). I suppose you could say I am direct evidence of all of those reading studies!

How about you? How has blogging changed your reading habits?

11 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. Book Blogging has really changed my reading habits. I love reading on my ereaders and I find that I read faster on them. I'm also moving into the reading multiple books habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically for me, in years past, I would answer these questions by saying my reading has changed a lot from blogging, for many different reasons. After well over three years of it, though, I finally rejected most of those changes and am back to reading the way I always did. My reading is a little broader than it used to be - more modern lit - but I'm back to getting my books from the library, reading books one by one, taking breaks between them, reading according to my whims rather than challenges or recommendations, etc. Interesting to see how that changed in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I posted my review of Godot this morning. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging has definitely gotten me to read more new releases and sometimes I regret that. I'm a classics lover at heart and that hasn't changed, but I occasionally get caught up in the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I don't tend to read more than one book at a time because I get so involved in the books I read. They actually affect my mood and emotions sometimes. In that way, I think it would be too confusing for me. I like that you mentioned that you research the books you read for additional contexts or insights. Literature is so great because of all the different interpretations and viewpoints out there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I realized your Nook's name is also Homer! Mine is Homer!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book blogging might nudge me to buy a Nook too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it has changed it in many ways, see here: http://wordsandpeace.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/bbaw-2011-day-4/
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always had a book acquisition problem too. It's definitely gotten worse since blogging, but it was pretty bad to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you aon the book acquisitions. I love all books. I am trying to go back and read some of the classics, like Canterbury Tales, War and Peace etc... but my TBR pile is at least 4 shelves long. So much so that I am now going to have to start theming my blog to coordinate my reading and to push through. I think I am going to dedicate to classics... I don't know so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you came to blogging with a specific goal in mind. I started kind of on a whim, as in, I wanted someone to care what I last read and comment on it. My family and friends didn't care.

    ReplyDelete