Friday, February 19, 2010

Book 21: Finished.

Well, I finished Washington Square and I feel like if I wrote about the ending it would ruin all the fun for you, so I won't go there.

But I loved this book, mainly because it was nothing I thought it would be, but it was so much more than I could have asked for.

Sometimes with these classics that center on a love story, you know what you are going to get. Man and woman meet. One falls in love with the other. Then the other falls in love. There is a confession of love, but one must reject it from circumstances. Time passes. Conflict ensues. Conflicts brings man and woman back together. They marry. The end.

Well, usually that is how a classic romance works. I guarantee that if you read a romance novel today you will find a similar plot line as well. I always tease my mother that romance writers just come up with new names to fill in and some random side stories, but they are all the same (I am not bashing romances. I read them once in awhile as well).

But Washington Square turns all of that on its head. It is quite a different kind of story, and is really unexpected. It was refreshing and different and I liked it, a lot.

Apparently the kitten also likes it, since he sleeping on my copy on my desk.

If you're interested in giving James a go, I would suggest starting with this one. It is a lot of fun and a quick read.

Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I haven't heard of this one. Sounds interesting, and I love romance novels, so I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy and really should dig it out and read it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you should definitely give it a try! It is a much lighter classic and really entertaining. The father is what makes it so great because you just can't believe him. And really, you have to pull for Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment may be true about the plots of romance novels-but I can't help it, they are my absolute favorite. I'm a romantic at heart. This is one I will definitely read. I love reading them, because I love to put myself in the time and place of the novel and see new places, people, etc. Author's imaginations are awesome places to go.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete