Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In Perspective, Chunksters, and Some Personal Notes.

I spent some time today trying to map out what I am going to read next. It is kind of a difficult task, even with a list. One on hand, I am trying to mix up what I am reading off my list so that I can jump all over and be entertained. But I also have to keep in mind that certain authors have more books on the list than others. I'm trying to make sure I spread their work out so it doesn't come down to the last ten books and I only have Dickens and Hardy to read. THAT would be rough going. It is a very daunting and overwhelming task.

I also took some time to look at the titles I actually own, which is about 175 out of the 250. I am one of those people who has to "own" their books, so I am trying to mix that up as well, so that I can slowly purchase a book here or there to supplement what I already own.

It ended up frustrating me. But I came up with a list of books to read next, which goes all the way up to finishing book 50. It was exhausting and it depresses me. 50/250 doesn't seem like much in the way of progress.

I also began to realize how MANY of the books were larger than I expected. I started looking at page numbers to balance out reading the smaller novels and plays with the bigger works (like Clarissa by Samuel Richardson which is a staggering 1536 pages). I began to realize that while I signed up for the Chunkster Challenge in hopes of getting through a mere 6 volumes over 450 pages this year, if I do that I won't be making any progress!

I've decided I need to challenge myself a little further to read more of the bigger volumes at regular intervals. I am editing my Chunkster post and list to reflect that change. The truth is...many of the classics are huge. Reader attention spans were different way back. Also, families couldn't afford to purchase a lot of books, so authors wrote longer works to make up for that. A longer book meant it took more time to get through. Now poor little me is paying the price for that.

Anyway, I just needed to put some things into perspective for myself. I still have every intention of finishing this within the 2 and a half years I set for myself, I just need to get cracking.

I also need to find a way to keep myself on track. I am behind in my postings to where my reading is. My post from this morning is from when I started Washington Square, which was (in actuality) over a week and a half ago. I am trying to keep from posting multiple entries a day, but I also don't want to give up my process of writing.

For me, reading is about the journey through the novel, which is why I write multiple posts about each book. I like to explain my feelings and thoughts as I get through each work. I don't want to give that up, but I am struggling to catch up the blog to where I really am. All of my posts to the point where I am now are written and scheduled to be posted. Right now I am starting Animal Farm, but all of my posts from Washington Square and The Mill on the Floss are in limbo waiting for publication. It is frustrating to be off track.

Do any of you have some advice about how I can fix this? Or should I just let it be?

Anyway, that's about all I had to say...

Oh, I am prepping for a giveaway (my first one!) that will be coming up in the next week or two. I'm excited about it, so keep a look out for that exciting post!

2 comments:

  1. Just let it be and enjoy the books without worrying too much about posting about them. Unless of course you love to write!! and if that is the case then write!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the great Beatles once sang, LET IT BE.

    Also, you can do this, don't be afraid of chunksters! I don't mind multiple updates as long as they aren't obnoxious memes.

    ReplyDelete