Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Book 23: Animal Farm.

Animal Farm is a interesting read if you have never read it. At first you have to wonder where Orwell is going, and then BAM! It hits you in the face that it is a small novel packed full of political satire.

I love this little novel. I have read it a number of times and each time I find something more to love in its 139 pages.

I love how Orwell really gets into the mindset of his animals.

This passage is taken from fairly early on in the novel and shows how the animals get a jump start on their rebellion:

"'Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps himself,'"(29).

It is not a surprise then, when the animals revolt and take over the farm. "Together" they decide to run the farm and be self-sufficient so they no longer have to rely on man. One of the first things they do is write their Seven Commandments:

"1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
3. No animal shall wear clothes.
4. No animal shall sleep in a bed.
5. No animal shall drink alcohol.
6. No animal shall kill any other animal.
7. All animals are equal," (43).

It should come as no surprise that gradually things fall apart. The animals fall subject to a leader, and that leader begins to change things, but I am not at the part yet. That comes later. :)

3 comments:

  1. I honestly had no idea it was so short. You've inspired me to pick it up soon to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book in high school and enjoyed it. We had to do a project on it and I wrote a poem haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading Animal Farm in High School, I would love to reread it. I think it will have a large impact on my, now that I'm older and more aware of politics.

    ReplyDelete