Friday, February 26, 2010

Book 24: Book Stats.

Title: The Shipping News
Author: E. Annie Proulx (1935- )
First Published: 1993

Awards Won: National Book Award (1994) and the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (1994)

My Edition: Scribner Paperback
Pages: 337

Other Works Include: Heart Songs and Other Stories (1988-short stories), Postcards (1992-novel), "Brokeback Mountain" (1997-short story), That Old Ace in the Hole (2002-novel)

Her short story, "Brokeback Mountain" was turned into a film in 2005 starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. The Shipping News was turned into a film in 2001 starring Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, Judi Dench, and Cate Blanchett.

I have not read anything by Proulx before and I have not seen either film adaptation, so I will be diving in. This is the only novel by Proulx on my list.

And I understand that this novel being included on the list is questionable. Besides The Poisonwood Bible (1998), this is the newest book to grace this list and might not be considered a "classic." I will remind you that when I started creating this list, I consulted the AP English Literature list, as well as various classics lists online. The Shipping News popped up often, so it was included.

No comments:

Post a Comment