Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Some Book Loot.

I don't think anyone is ever surprised to hear that I am constantly acquiring new books. I have problems, you know? I just have this desire to collect, so when there are details, I lose control.

I do want to say before I show you my loot is that I was very restrained. I went with my mom to the other Borders (about 20 minutes away), since I thought they would have a different selection that my local one (only 5 minutes away). I was right. There were MANY things I wanted, but I only brought home 8 books with me this time.

And you all know I will be going back multiple times when the discounts get better.



From top to bottom:
  • Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs: I found this lonesome copy hiding in the history section. And I really liked the green cover. Bite me.
  • Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne. I just finished my first Vernes a few days ago and LOVED it, so when I saw it I needed to add this one to my pile.
  • Three Plays by Ayn Rand: I know RAND. How could I? But it was the only one, and I am REALLY curious about her plays. There won't be a 70 page speech, right?
  • The American by Henry James: All of my experiences with James have been really positive so far and I adore his writing style, so I figured I should add his other work to my library for the future.
  • The Wings of the Dove by Henry James: See above. :)
  • Traitors' Gate by Kate Elliott. I have had the hardest time finding this book, and it is the third in a trilogy. I had to pick it up.
  • Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov. I've been having a hard time locating this one, and since it is on my list, I grabbed it quickly.
  • The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton by Edith Wharton. This is one of the few Whartons I don't have on my shelf, so...you know...
So question....how often do you all go on book shopping sprees? Will you go to a Borders near you if you have one to get deals?

10 comments:

  1. I used to go at least once every week, but I realized I really need to stop, because it's not going to help me! haha. I have a book buying problem too, but nowadays, i don't feel as guilty since like I said, I don't buy as often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Borders by my house but all the good books were only 10% off and the lines were LONG. I'm kind of glad though because I really don't need to buy any more books, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what Ingrid said -- I did the same, though I managed to buy a book of classic poetry. :-)

    Okay, and also ditto what the other Jillian said.

    Great haul! Especially the ghost stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that exact copy of Tarzan on my shelf. And I need to read other Nabokov titles apart from Lolita.

    I usually find myself in a bookstore every couple of weeks. Although in general I might just get one or two books, but there are times when five or more have been known to follow me home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice loot! I went to Borders last night too and got quite a few. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, nice loot! I missed the Border's closing down under here in Brisbane, for which I'm kicking myself! It was the biggest bookstore in the city, and I used to take my three year old there for book buying outings. It will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a Tarzan of the Apes!! My mom grew up with Tarzan and feels quite sorry for her daughters...:-/

    I don't get to go to a bookstore often. I'm more or less home bound. So when I go to one, I buy. However, the last time I went to a bookstore I held back from buying. I was feeling quite pleased with myself. The thing was, though, I figured my online bookstore had better deals! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I trawl the second hand book shops once a week. They know me now. They say things like, 'don't you think you've had enough?' Then I hear them talking behind my back about what a crying shame it is that I squander all my money on my addiction while my poor husband goes without shoes.
    But, y'know, sometimes you just need a stiff hardback. And I could quit any time I wanted.

    Really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Borders the first day of the sale but the line was unbelievable -- just not worth it for only 10% off (though I'm a member and I'd actually get about 20% off). I'll definitely check back and see if they've cut the prices. Hopefully the books I want aren't in high demand -- might not be able to get the Annotated Pride and Prejudice for cheap. Oh well.

    I'm so sad they're closing. I love Barnes & Noble but I think the selection for classics was better at Borders. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am particularly depressed about Borders closing. Aside from the fact that I agree with everyone else about the discounts not being worth it, I cant bring myself to my local Borders (which is walking distance from my job) without wanting to cry - mainly because I have the same problem as all of you and I used to go to Borders almost daily to buy books.

    Now what will I do?

    Maybe soon I will go back and scrounge through what remains when the discounts get a little higher.

    Great selection of book, btw!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete