Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Characters to Check In On.

Every Tuesday, the folks over at The Broke and the Bookish pick a topic for us zany book lovers to create a list on. This week's topic is about our top ten characters we would like to check up on.

At first, I was going to skip this week's topic, as I very much agree with John Green when he says that after a book is finished, it is up to the individual reader's interpretation about the fate of the characters. But then...well, I wanted to play along. And while I certainly do respect that characters are different in everyone's eyes when they finish a book, there are some that I wouldn't might knowing more about. And the sappy part of me wants to know if they got their happily ever after.

I only picked 7, as these are the ones I'm most curious about. :) In no particular order...



1. Lawrence Selden from The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton: For anyone who has read the book, you have to know why I wonder about poor Selden. This book is my favorite of all time, so of course I have always wondered what became of Selden....


2. Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: I would love to check in on these two...make sure they're happy and alive and well. They deserve it, you know?


3. Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell: I find this fitting as I am set for a little readalong with some fellow bloggers in the near future. But wouldn't you love to know what Scarlett has done since the end of this saga? I do!


4. Katsa and Po from Graceling by Kristin Cashore: Cashore hasn't published anything in a few years, which is probably why I'm craving to return to these two characters (I actually just want to reread Graceling). Katsa is one of my favorite female characters, so I would love to see what she's up to!


5. Miles from Looking for Alaska by John Green: It's fitting that I talked about John Green earlier and now picked one of his books, yes? :) This is my favorite Green novel (it was also the first I read, long before he blew up into superstardom). I think Miles would make a fascinating adult...


6. Harry Potter: I don't think I need to explain this one.... ;)


7. Eleanor and Park from Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell: I'm a worrier, so I worry about both of these teens. And I would love to make sure they're both okay after the events of the novel.


There you have it, my shorter than usual list. :) Let me know what characters you would like to check in on!

5 comments:

  1. I love how you mention being a worrier and wanting to check to make sure they're OK. I didn't participate this week but I would definitely want to check up on Oskar from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for the same reason you want to check up on Eleanor and Park.

    And yes--Looking for Alaska is my favorite Green, too. Feel like the only one who doesn't love Fault in Our Stars more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't think of more than 1-2! Either there is more series coming, or an epilogue from the future, or I'm content with how their story ended...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I REALLY need to reread Graceling. Part of me wishes Kristin Cashore published more frequently, but really, her books are worth the wait. (I didn't list Katsa and Po in my Top Ten post, though, because they do make an appearance in Bitterblue, and that was enough for me to feel ok about them. For now, at least! If you haven't read it yet, highly recommended -- though Graceling is still my favorite!)

    I have Jane and Mr. Rochester on my list as well. It sounds like they're happy when we leave them, but yeah...I need to make sure :)

    ReplyDelete