Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chunkster Reading Challenge 2012.

I have a post on Walden that I can't get quite right, so instead I am signing up for another challenge.

:)

I'm really excited to be joining in for the 2012 Chunkster Challenge. I actually took part in the 2010 Challenge, but somehow never signed up for 2011. Who knows why!

Anyway, the goal of this challenge to to read those big, chunktastic books that you other wise avoid. I think we all avoid them because they take so much time to get through, and as bloggers, we need content! BUT, I prefer longer books for their depth and soul.

Here are the specifics:

-A Chunkster is is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature, whether non-fiction or fiction. A chunkster should be a challenge.

-If you read books in large print, your books will need to be 525 pages or more. The average large type book is 10-15% larger or more so it’s a fair estimate.

Other Rules:
  • No audio books. (There are exceptions to this rule.)
  • No e-books allowed. This was discussed in much detail in the 2011 challenge. The short version: a chunkster isn’t a challenge if you’re reading it on an e-reader. (There are exceptions to this rule.)
  • This year for the first time, essay, poetry, and short story collections will be allowed. Collections have to be read in their entirety to count. If you’ve needed a reason to finally pick up your copy of The Collected Works Of ____ now is the time.
  • Books may crossover with other challenges.
  • Anyone may join. (If you don’t have a blog, just leave a comment on this post with your challenge level and your progress throughout the challenge.)
  • You don’t need to list your books ahead of time.
  • Once you’ve picked a level, that’s it. You’re committed to it!
Here are the levels:
  1. The Chubby Chunkster– this option is for the readers who want to dabble in large tomes, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. FOUR Chunksters is all you need to finish this challenge.
  2. The Plump Primer - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to SIX Chunksters over the next twelve months
  3. Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the reader who can't resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to SIX Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 - 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 - 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length (for ideas, please refer to the book suggestions page for some books which fit into these categories).
  4. Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to EIGHT or more Chunksters of which three tomes MUST be 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

Sounds like fun, right?

I am signing up for the "Mor-book-ly" Obese level of 8 ginormous Chunksters. And while I don't HAVE to pick the books ahead of time, I am anyway. I can always switch them out if I decide to.

I am also crossing this challenge over with some of my others, so you'll see a few repeats. :)

My Eight Chunksters:
  1. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson (1534 pages): This one is also on my 2012 TBR Challenge List
  2. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (982 pages): Also on my 2012 TBR Challenge List
  3. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (1232 pages): I am reading one with Kate from Kate's Library over the course of 2012
  4. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1273 pages): I know, I read this one last year. But to be honest, I read it VERY fast and I feel like I missed some things. I am reading this one with Jillian through June 2012.
  5. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (737 pages): Yet another title on my 2012 TBR Challenge List. :)
  6. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (816 pages): I was supposed to get to this one this year. While there is still time, I doubt it. So here it is.
  7. Middlemarch by George Eliot (892 pages): This one is also included in my "Back to the Classics" Challenge list.
  8. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (463 pages): The shortest Chunkster on the list, but one I have been avoiding!
There are many other books on my list that would qualify as Chunksters as well, but these are the eight I am aiming for!

You guys should join in on this one!

16 comments:

  1. Catch-22 is so worth it! I think I've read that book four or five times now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite challenges. Les Miserables is a favorite. I am reading War and Peace (slowly) now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Reading Clarissa in its entirety sounds like the worst kind of hell to me. I detest Richardson. Good luck though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up. There's nothing like signing up to read ginormous books for an avoidance technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for signing up! War and Peace along with Middlemarch are on my tbr list. I don't know if I'm going to get to them next year though.

    There's also a "Chunky Book Club" that we're hosting next year too. Most are not classics but there might be something for you to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clarissa is also on my list for 2012, I'm thinking of reading a letter a day from January in order to get through it. I'll be interested to see how you tackle this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to participate in this challenge, too! Woot! With the books I already have lined up for the other challenges I'm doing, I'll be able to go for the Big Butt level in this challenge. I'll be putting up my post about it later today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I signed up for this one in 2011 and could've sworn it ran through the end of January. New host, perhaps?? :)

    Always like to sign up for this one to push myself, though it did not pan out for me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, you're planning some seriously long books for 2012! I don't know when I've last read a book more than 500 pages, much less 1000. Good luck! (And they do all sound good.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've got a lot of intimidating books to read this 2012. Good luck with all those chunksters, and I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on Les Miserables. I've wanted to read that book for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like an awesome challenge...except for the lame "no ereader" rule. So on that premise alone I wouldn't join in. Really? It's not a challenge to read 1000 pages on an ereader? I'm reading Bleak House right now. Trust me, it's just as much work to read a long book on an ereader. It takes just a long.

    And I LOVE Middlemarch. By far the awesomeist book out there. And I really want to make 2012 a year of Dickens, but chances are I'll just get through the one...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I keep saying it, but cannot WAIT to see what you make of Clarissa!

    This is an exciting challenge, I reckon I'll sign up for 8 books. Will go think about it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be trying to read a bunch of chunksters right along with you! I loved Middlemarch and David Copperfield is one of my favorite Dickens. I know you're not his biggest fan but I hope you like that one! Nicholas Nickleby was also good, but it does get a bit a draggy in a few parts. Just keep reading! War and Peace is also on my list - I realized I accidentally read an abridged version. :( It wasn't marked on the cover anywhere as abridged and it was still 800 pages so I didn't realize it. I have a better translation and the full work now to read! I tried reading Clarissa this year but I think I was too burned out on that era at that time and Richardson isn't my favorite. I was also reading it on an ereader and I think I was rushing through it to much. I have a tendency to start skimming when I use my ereader for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed Middlemarch! This is actually the challenge that got me into book blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some great books on your list, but I have to warn you, a couple of those Victorians drag in parts. Middlemarch was great after the first 100 pages, and both Copperfield and Nickleby have dry spots, but they're worth reading. Catch-22 is interesting. Not my favorite, but worth reading, and it's not difficult.

    And I'm very impressed that you've included Tom Jones, Les Miserables, AND War and Peace. I've read War and Peace but it was in college so I've forgotten most of it.

    This challenge is very tempting, I'm quite sure I could manage at least six books, just a question of which ones and how long. . . . nice that you don't have to commit to specific books. Are rereads allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Those are some real monster books you have in there! David Copperfield is one of my favorite books of all time, I'm really looking forward to hearing what you'll think of it.
    Damn. I had promised myself I wouldn't sign up for any more challenges this year, but this one's so tempting.

    ReplyDelete