Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Rewind (Books at the Top of my TBR).

It's Top Ten Tuesday! Today's topic was to do a "rewind" of a past topic, and I'm very excited about that. Just a couple of weeks ago, the folks at The Broke and the Bookish had a topic for books on our Spring TBR. This was in the midst of my absence, and I was bummed I missed it. To be honest, the TBR posts are my favorites to read and write!

So, I thought it would be fitting to talk about the ten books at the top of my TBR pile for the coming months. A couple I have started and need to return to, but all are titles I want to read as soon as I can. :)

Let me know what books you're planning to read!
  1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy: I started this WAY back in January. I've picked it up here and there, but I'm still only 200 or so pages into it (I know I finished the first and second part). I really like it, but I have a hard time diving into it. This is definitely one I want to finish!
  2. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald: Another one I have started and need to finish. This is a good one (very different from Gatsby, which I LOVE).
  3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck: I've been craving a really thick, American novel. I've never read this (!) and I think it would be the perfect fit right now. I do love some Steinbeck...
  4. The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather: This will be the 6th book for my Willa Cather Project! I read the first few pages a month ago, but I set it aside and haven't touched it. I really want to finish my Cather exploration by the end of the year, so I need to kick it up a notch.
  5. Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien: We're approaching the Vietnam unit in my history classes, so I think this would be the perfect fit for me as I teach that unit. I loved The Things They Carried, so I have high hopes. This will also count for my TBR Pile Challenge!
  6. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott: I just got a pretty new Penguin English Library (PEL) edition of this last week and boy, the pretty cover makes me want to dive in! It seems like such a fun story, so perhaps I'll grab this one soon! And again, another title for my TBR Challenge!
  7. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe: I put this one on my nightstand in February, but its been lingering there ever since. I think it's one I need to read sooner rather than later, so hopefully I get to this one soon. This will count towards my Back to the Classics Challenge!
  8. Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy: I adore Hardy, and since I know this one is a favorite of many, I keep meaning to read it. I just got this in the PEL edition, so the pretty cover is sucking me in, just like Ivanhoe. This is another for the Back to the Classics Challenge!
  9. Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore: I flew through Graceling and Fire, so I know I'll feel the same way about this one. Cashore is talented and can write an EPIC fantasy. But this is one I need to sink into in one long sitting (perhaps for the readathon coming up?).
  10. On the Road by Jack Kerouac: This is another one that I can't believe I haven't read yet. I had Kerouac as an extra credit MVP for my history classes a week ago, and since then, I've been eying this on my bookshelf. :) Yet another for my TBR Challenge!

7 comments:

  1. This is an amazing list.. only one book on it that I didn't enjoy (Kerouac) but even that one is still a must read. I honestly wasn't such a fan of This Side of Paradise, either - it's not my favorite Fitzgerald BUT Fitzgerald is one of my favorites, so, yeah.

    And you know how I feel about The Grapes of Wrath!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! Love it. The only ones I've read from this list are Anna Karenina (loved it), Ivanhoe (so much love), and Uncle Tom's Cabin (didn't love it, but feel like it's important to read & understand its place in history). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! I had the Grapes of Wrath on my list as a book I can't believe I've never read. I really need to move it to the top of my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read Anna K, Grapes and On the Road. Biiiig love for two first ones, not a fan of Kerouac but I think he is the kind of writer that many love and many hate (no middle ground).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Adam, wonderful list. The Kerouac and Fitzgerald aren't my favorites, but they are must reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grapes of Wrath is wonderful. I was in total fear of Steinbeck but I got completely sucked in. It's one of the longest Steinbecks, but it's really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read Anna Karenina too, but I just don't have time to!

    ReplyDelete