For this challenge, there are categories that need to be fulfilled. The first set is required to complete the challenge. The second is optional, and while I am definitely hopeful to give it my best shot, it won't be a focus for me.
I should also point out that for this challenge, Karen (our lovely hostess this year) has established that classic only refers to a book published prior to 1964 (so anything older than 50 years). I made sure to take that into account when I made my list.
Anyway, here are my challenge books for this challenge!
- A 20th Century Classic: The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
- A 19th Century Classic: Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy (1872)
- A Classic by a Woman Author: The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (1915)
- A Classic in Translation: Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (1927-translated in 1929)
- A Classic About War: The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane (1895)
- A Classic by an Author Who Is New To You: Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (1862)
- An American Classic: Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1852)
- A Classic Mystery, Suspense or Thriller: The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1868)
- A Historical Fiction Classic: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1850)
- A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series: Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (1848)
- Extra Fun Category: Write a Review of the Movie or TV Series adapted from Optional Category #4: I have a couple of options for this-BBC adaptation or film...I'll decide later!
I'm joining in the fun too! I love this challenge. Also I hosted a readalong of Vanity Fair in 2013 and was so surprised by how much it reminded me of Gone with the Wind. Enjoy!ReplyDelete
Oh, that's an interesting comparison! That makes me want to read it now! :)Delete
I am not participating but it will be fun to watch those of you who are. All the best with this.ReplyDelete
Thank you very much!Delete
Thanks for signing up! I LOVED Lady Audley's Secret, it's just so much fun. I'm looking forward to your posts!ReplyDelete
Thanks for hosting Karen! I'm excited to dive into this one. I think I have some good books in my future!Delete
I'm not joining in with this one, but we do have some titles in common for 2014: The Moonstone, Lady Audley's Secret, The Sound and the Fury, and Uncle Tom's Cabin.ReplyDelete
Have fun :)
Oh, I will. :) I actually think The Moonstone has been on challenge lists for the last few years-Uncle Tom's Cabin too. This will be the year!Delete
Lady Audley's Secret was great fun. Everything I've read by Braddon so far has been fun. I really enjoy her writing! The Moonstone is great too. Love Wilkie!ReplyDelete
I wasn't planning on doing this challenge, but oh dear, I'm feeling the itch.
I loved The Woman in White, so I have high hopes for The Moonstone.