Sunday, October 2, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up for October 2, 2011: Helllllloooo October.

I am so glad September is over. I mean, it is probably my least favorite month of the year. I always get sick, school starts, and the weather can't make up its mind. I am glad to see October, chillier temperatures, and a routine starting to set in.

September was also a horrible reading month over here. While I read about half of Moby-Dick, the only book I finished was Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which was a whopping 120 pages. I am clearly not accomplishing any of the goals I set for myself.

And I have to admit, I really don't care that I'm not being more hardcore about reading every night. Perhaps it is the illness, or maybe the fact that I am busy, but reading took a bit of a backseat last month. When I went back and looking at my reading list for last year, I did the same thing-I only read 1 book in the month of September. Let's just say that September is not a good reading month for me.

In any case, I have been reading a bit more this weekend in attempts to get on top of all the reading commitments I have this month. This includes 3 group reads (2 that I am hosting), a book for the Classics Circuit, the remainder of my R.I.P. choices, and a few "fun" reads I am hoping to plow through. With being sick, I'm not going to kill myself to get all this read, but it is still a goal.

My book buying ban is going really well. I was tempted to stop in the store the other day to "browse," but I realized that was silly, since I don't need any more books. I have plenty on my shelves. My only "purchase" was a free ebook for Homer, so I haven't broken the ban yet! If I can make it a month, I think it'll be the longest I have gone without buying a book. Sad, I know.

Anyway, I am heading over to my mom's in a bit to do laundry (I have to get the husband to help me carry the laundry downstairs first-too many stairs sets me coughing like a maniac). Usually I take my computer and such with me, but since I really want to finish Moby-Dick, that is all I am taking with. Wish me luck! I am aiming to get to page 500 today!

Happy Reading!

10 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I'll be reading a bit of Moby-Dick in a few moments. :-)

    (September has been a bad reading month for me, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes reading just has to take a back seat! Right now, your biggest concern should be feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually made it through an hour long browsing in a Barnes and Noble the other night...without buying a thing. I'm not on a book ban, but I don't have any more room on my TBR shelves...
    I agree with Trisha...getting well should be first priority right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your last 3 posts at once, so I'll comment here! I hope you're feeling better after a couple of days of rest (and reading!) and that your recovery continues. I suppose there are worse things than being told by the doctor to stay home and rest. You and Jillian have made me want to read Moby Dick, though I won't get to it any time soon. And I admire your resolve with your book buying ban! I rarely buy new books, but I adore used book sales (as does my husband, so that doesn't help!) and end up bringing home way too many books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. September seems to have been a bad month for everyone including me. I hope you continue to have good luck with Moby-Dick. Like Erin, between you and Jillian, I keep eying my own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! September is always a slow reading month for me too for most of the same reasons you list here. The number of things to be accomplished is just overwhelming and it is hard to prioritize things like Moby Dick over, say, Back to School Night. :) Hope you have a splendid reading October.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on a book-buying ban as well (except for certain new releases, like The Night Circus and this month's Rick Riordan release) BUT I did pick up the two books I'll be giving away for our October Group Read winners! Very exciting.. but I'm not going to say what they are just yet. Let's just say, the fit the October/Halloweeny theme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with Moby Dick. I have not had the courage to tackle that yet. I look forward to hearing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also - for some reason, September was a great reading month for me. I didn't read too many more books than usual, but I read some GREAT ones. I think I had 3 or 4 perfect-rated books and a couple of others that came-in just under perfect. Kinda wiped me out, to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read also a few classics this past month, though not as thick as yours! Here is my September wrap up: http://wordsandpeace.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/september-2011-wrap-up/
    Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete