I was sitting at the computer last night when it dawned on me that today was March 1st. Since I started blogging on September 1st, that means that it has been 6 months since I started this crazy idea.
While I am slightly disappointed I am not further, I know there are reasons why I'm not. I only read 2 books in December, but that could be because I got married at the end of the month. I was a little preoccupied, obviously. Since then, my reading has really gone back to my "normal" reading level and speed. I'll get to where I need to be eventually.
But I am proud of what I have accomplished so far and I am so glad that I am doing this. I am already learning so much from each of these selections and I am so grateful to these writers who are rescuing me in my time of need.
In honor of finishing my 25th book (O Pioneers! by Willa Cather) last week, I have decided to host a giveaway in honor of that accomplishment (posts for Book 25 are pending and will be up this week). After all, 25 books read means that I am a whole 10% done with this challenge to myself.
Since I am reading solely classics from now until I finish book 250, I have decided that I am going to give away 3 classics in this giveaway. There will be 3 different winners and each winner will have the opportunity to choose their book from the following list. If you have been reading the blog, you will see that these are the first 25 books that I have completed.
- The Odyssey by Homer
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- McTeague by Frank Norris
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- The Stranger by Albert Camus
- Germinal by Emile Zola
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Travels with Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck
- Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
- Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
- The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow
- The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Washington Square by Henry James
- The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx
- O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
If you are unsure about any of these titles, click here to see my own favorite entries on each of these selections.
- This contest is only for U.S. residents. Sorry, but I hope to do an international giveaway soon!
- You must be a follower of this blog. It is easy to do, just click on the right where is says "follow" and complete the steps.
- You must comment on this post with your name, a way for me to contact you if you win, and and answer to the following question: "In your opinion, what makes a book a 'classic?'" This will earn you 1 entry into the contest.
- If you were a follower BEFORE this post was made, please inform me in your comment. This will earn you 2 additional entries into the contest.
- If you post about this giveaway on your blog and link to it, please leave the link here. This will earn you 4 additional entries into the contest.
The giveway entry period will end on March 19, 2010 (at midnight). It will take me a day or two to figure out the winners. Once the winners are announced, they will have a week to let me know which book they would like and I will send it their way!
(Oh, and if I hit 100 followers during the giveway, I'll add on a 4th winner and a 4th book!)