Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book 70: The Awakening and Book Stats.

Title: The Awakening
Author: Kate Chopin (1850-1904)

First Published: 1899
My Edition: Avon Books by Harper Collins (Seen at left)
Pages: 190

Other Works Include: At Fault (1890), Short Stories: "Désirée's Baby," A Respectable Woman," "Madame Célestin's Divorce," and others.

I first read Chopin's The Awakening as a senior in high school for the famed AP Literature class. This was one of the books I chose to read on my own for our monthly essays. When I first picked it out, I really had no idea what it was about, but I knew it was short. I needed short since I read the novel two days before my paper was due.

I ended up loving the book. And while I didn't relate to it entirely, I certainly loved it. It spoke to me. So, I have read it numerous times since then. It was a required book in one of my college English classes, and I have read it on my own a couple of other times. It is a story I am very familiar with and have a special fondess for.

But saying all that, I have only read one other thing by Chopin, and that's her story, "A Respectable Woman." I need to make sure to read more by her in the future!


Have you read this title? What did you think?

12 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading a collection of 24 of her short stories, which are okay. Some are better than others. None really have the brilliance of The Awakening, unfortunately. I do have At Fault on my shelf too! I hope to read that one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this novel. Also, the short story "Desiree's Baby" and "The Storm."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my American Classics list and I have no idea what its about or even that it was short.

    I'm avoiding all spoilers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her short story The Yellow Wallpaper, which I have re-read several times. It is a great piece of feminist writing, and I would definitely recommend it to everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I could sympathize with Edna, but on the other hand I was uncomfortable with some of her choices. Definitely thought-provoking. Might be worth a re-read, now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read The Awakening, but I did just find a used copy at a library sale. I'm looking forward to reading it and hope to get to it in the next few months. It will be my first by Chopin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo, i've never read this one - will have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve see it on all the “best books of all time” lists, but was never really curious. Maybe your review will change my mind? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only Chopin I've read is The Awakening. I intend to read more of her short stories in the future. A lot of people recommended Desiree's Baby. I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts about this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tasseled: Kate Chopin didn't write that one. It was Perkins Gilman, who was a feminist writer. And that piece WAS great...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit that while I really liked it the first time I read it, my second time around with Awakening left me feeling blah. Ah the changing times of our lives....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read 5 or 6 of her short stories and The Awaking-I prefer the short stories-somehow I found the lead character of The Awaking to selfish

    ReplyDelete