Sunday, January 2, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up for January 2, 2011: The New Year, Reading, and School.

Happy 2011 everyone!

I know that I am happy to be a in a new year, with new possibilities and opportunities out there. 2010 was a rough year for me, and my husband, so we are both glad that it is over and done with. We're hoping we have better luck in 2011!

We spent New Year's Eve with my older brother, younger sister, Matt's sister and husband, and a couple close friends. We sat around my kitchen table and played board games, before bringing in 2011 with a small champagne toast. It was fun, nerdy, and what I wanted. I like low-key nights and the last couple of years have been just that.

Everyone around the blogosphere is gearing up with their first reads for 2011. I am in the middle of each of the three books I am hosting in January's readalongs. I'm kind of regretting hosting three readalongs in one month, but I will persevere and all will be fine. I want to get these first posts written as soon as possible so I can pick something else up!

If you are still interested in sign-up, here are the links one more time so you can do so:
If any of these titles are on your shelf, consider joining in! Remember, everyone who finishes and posts gets a surprise sent to them in the mail!

I should also point out that you have until midnight to enter my New Year Classic Giveaway. I am giving away some beautiful Penguin clothbound classics. Make sure you enter!

I am gearing up for the first day back tomorrow at school. I will be busting my butt the rest of the day to get my lessons solidified for the week and everything ready to copy in the morning. I am hoping that I can spend a few hours each weekend doing lessons so I can have my weeknights to grade and have reading time. I am sure it will take a week or two to get into the schedule, but it should be good, right?

Anyway, I have lots to do today, so I am cutting this short. I hope you all have a wonderful week of reading!

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with school this week! I can't tell you how excited I am to have my kids go back to school! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, even though I don't have an official blog; I am going to go and try and read all three read alongs with you.

    Good luck with school.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading The woman in White at the moment so you can count me in for that one this month ;)Hopefully this one will restore a little of my faith back into English Victorian classcs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my favorite part of going back to school is trying to figure out the best system for me. I'm such an organizing nerd! Good luck with everything. I'm definitely excited to be reading along with you for W&P.

    Quick question to satisfy my curiosity: How do you balance reading multiple books at once? Set a timer and read each for so long or what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't be able to participate in your read alongs this month, but count me in in February for Oliver Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Had a similar New Year's Eve. A few siblings and their significant others, friends and board games. It made for a great night.

    I just posted about the War and Peace readalong and I can't wait to get started. I've already read Rebecca and The Woman in White, but I will be following and commenting on both, just because I loved them. Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for school! I start reading Rebecca today, I'm very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ALLIE!!! I wish you the best of luck as you start teaching. I really want to do a read along but with classes starting back up again this week, I'll have to see how much time I have to do fun things like these. :( Hopefully I also can get into a steady schedule and can do a read along soon.

    Love, HOOLIETA!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! I hope your first day back to school went well, and good luck on the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete