One of the first exciting bits is that I acquired more books this week. Let me assure you that I "bought" them before my book buying ban (I should clarify that my husband demanded this ban after my recent splurges). If you remember back a month and a half ago, I mentioned I was doing a "Game On! Diet" challenge with a few other bloggers. Well, my team won so we each got $30 to spend at Amazon.com. I agonized over what to get, but when I saw there was a great deal on some Shakespeare titles, I caved. Here is what I ended up with:
From top to bottom-
- All's Well that Ends Well by Shakespeare: I read this one back in my college Shakespeare class, but it has been awhile, so I barely remember the plot!
- Coriolanus by Shakespeare: This is a little known play that I know nothing about. I will probably read this one a little later-I'm sure it will be more challenging.
- Love's Labor's Lost by Shakespeare: This is another title I read in my college Shakespeare class, and I remember really loving it when we read it.
- Measure for Measure by Shakespeare: I know the basics of this one, but haven't given it a chance yet!
- Troilus and Cressida by Shakespeare: I know absolutely nothing about this title, but like the others, I know I will eventually get to it!
- The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy: This was the only Hardy title on my project list that I hadn't found a copy of in my searches. So glad I found this lovely Oxford edition.
In addition, the lovely Rebecca at Rebecca Reads was taking part in that big literary giveaway last weekend, and I won a copy of My Antonia by Willa Cather! I can't wait for that beauty to be sitting on my shelves as well. :)
This weekend I am participating in Persephone Reading Weekend. Unfortunately I was hit with a super nasty migraine yesterday that sent me to bed for a few hours, so I still need to finish my book today and post my review. I'm reading Mariana by Monica Dickens. It is a wonderful read!
However, the most exciting thing to happen all week was what I am currently typing on. My husband bought me a new laptop! Yay! My old laptop was nearing seven years of hard use and was certainly showing it. It would freeze randomly, refuse to open files, and be all-around obnoxious. So the hubby bought me a lovely HP and I am so excited to be typing on something that isn't on the verge of having a meltdown any second.
I'm still getting used to the feel of the new keyboard, but I am loving my new buddy. :)
One of the best parts of this new computer is that I now have a webcam and the ability to do vlogs! I'm not sure how or when, but I've always wanted to!
The only other bit of news is that I finally went and got my hair done yesterday. The last time my hair was cut was LAST Memorial Day, so it was in some serious need. It was also super long (almost to my butt), so it needed to be chopped. I still wanted to have it on the longer side because I look better with long hair, but I also wanted to donate it. I ended up chopping 10 inches (that was scary when she showed me how much she chopped), but my hair is still below my shoulders. I also dyed it pretty dark with a touch of red. It is taking some getting used to. My ponytail is so short and I am used to it hanging all the way down my back! I am sure that in a few days I'll get used to the drastic change!
Anyway, this week lots of exciting things are happening. Tomorrow you'll see the ending posts for War and Peace and Oliver Twist! I'm glad to be knocking two more titles off my list. I'm also in the middle of Candide, which I hope to finish either tonight or tomorrow. I'm still kind of stuck on what to read next. As always, suggestions are welcome. I do know that I'll be starting the readalong books sometime this week, and posting the polls for the next three months (hard to imagine it is March already!).
I hope you all had a great reading week and have another!