Sunday, April 1, 2012

April 1: Starting Clarissa.

Today is April 1, and you know what that means (and no, I'm not talking about April Fool's Day). Today I begin reading Samuel Richardson's Clarissa with Jillian and Adam.

I have been excited about reading this since Jillian and I talked about it last fall. There is something a little daunting about reading one of the longest books in the English language in 30 days (the book is close to a million words. To put it in perspective, Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is about 565,000 words, War and Peace is about 587,000 words, and Les Miserables is about 530,000 words). But, I think we can all handle it, as long as we get lots of cheering on.

I know there are a few others who are also going to tackle this one with us (you can go to this post to see who else is jumping on board). I'm not sure when I'll be posting. We all decided to tackle this one on our own and see how we do. I'm sure I'll update every few days. ;)

If you want to join in, you can download all 12 files of the book on Project Gutenberg, or order the 5 lb. Penguin edition. ;) That makes it sound more exciting, doesn't it?

Wish us luck!

9 comments:

  1. I've started reading Clarissa. I'm not sure I can read it all in one month--I'm a little intimidated. But. What I've read so far I've liked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I really hope I can stick with this! It helps to know you, Adam and others are trying in 30 days. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count on me as a cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My scale says it only weighs 2.6 pounds. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck! And most importantly, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Allie! I'm slowly making my way through Clarissa, but could never keep up with your pace. It may take me the whole year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I think we've got the cheering part down ;) I hope I can find a copy soon, but if I can't, I'll be reading vicariously through you, Jillian and Adam.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete