Saturday, April 21, 2012

Readathon Master Update Post. April 2012. Update x3

Update 1 (8:03 AM):

To prevent your readers from clogging up, I am going to do what I have done for the last few readathons-create one master post where I will keep all my updates, challenge entries, etc. It makes my life easier to deal with. :)

I have Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver sitting next to me, and the goal is to finish it by the time I go to work at noon (roughly 4 hours from now). I don't know if it'll happen, but that's the plan.

Anyway, here is the into meme and my answers:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

I am reading from Rochester, MI. I am currently home, and when I go to work, I'll be reading from the park. I'll make sure to take pictures of that location!

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I am really excited to start Pandemonium, even though I wasn't completely blown away by Delirium. I think it is because I feel like I am cheating on Clarissa. That's okay, right? I mean, Clarissa is ginormous, she can hunker down for awhile. 

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
I'm not really sure...I'm sure when I'm at the park we'll be snacking and goofing around for part of the day (It is cold and chilly today, so I'm not sure how much we'll have to do outside). I am bringing some homemade soup with me for dinner, so I am pretty darn excited about that.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I have way too many books in a small apartment. I like Diet Coke way too much (I am trying to stop drinking pop altogether). And my blog usually focuses on classics...which is why this YA title feels like such a guilty pleasure sort of thing.

Oh, and I have a huge craving to watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Some time might be spent doing that later. :)

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
This is readathon #5 for me, and I think I finally have it figured out. Start with a fun book before moving to things I want to read. I always feel more accomplished when at least one thing is finished early on. I am most looking forward to just enjoying a day of reading. Reading hasn't been a big priority recently, so I can't wait to focus a bit. I might also grab some random books off the shelves, so anything can happen!


Readathon Nonsense Stats (8:09 AM):
# of Pages Read: 0
# of Books Finished: 0
# of Cups of Tea: 1
# of Kitten Cuddles: 1
Random Thoughts: I really, really wish I didn't have to work today. How lame that my first day back at the park is also readathon day? Boo-hiss.


Update 2 (11:05 AM):

I just had a solid 3 hours of reading. I love when a book can suck you in that way. I didn't even move off the couch until I closed the back cover. :) I haven't done that in AGES.


So yes, I finished my first book (Pandemonium). I liked it a lot better than Delirium, as I thought the world-building was better. The only piece I didn't like was the very end. I hate cheap tricks like that. Boo hiss Lauren Oliver. But, I will most definitely read the third book when it comes out!

I just scarfed down a bowl of oatmeal and I am attempting to type this entry with a cat on my lap. I have to shower and such before leaving for work, so I'm not sure if I will update until I get home. Sorry for going dark for 8 hours, but I will be back! :)

Readathon Nonsense Stats (11:14 AM):
# of Pages Read: 375
# of Books Finished:1
# of Cups of Tea: 2
# of Kitten Cuddles: 3
Random Thoughts: Still really mad I have to go to work. I'm not happy about missing a large chunk of the readathon. Lame.

Update 3 (8:50 PM):

Well, I just got home from work a few minutes ago. I just settled into my PJs and I am now firmly planted on the couch. I'm a little mad that I got home later than I was supposed to (we had cars in the lot past close, so I had to wait for the people to leave before I could lock up and go), so I'm all kinds of cranky. Otherwise, work was fine. It was really cold out, but we got some maintenance things done around the park. I also got to meet the new inhabitant at the park office...a very big Red Tail Boa Constrictor. I'm not the biggest fan of snakes. I can tolerate smaller ones as long as they aren't touching me, but big snakes freak me out. And he's pretty big. I also don't like that his cage is in our main meeting/lunch room. While I was eating my lunch, I kept feeling like he was watching me trying to size up if he could eat me. Unnerving. Supposedly he is going to be moved into one of the full-time Rangers' office, so that'll make lunch time a little less creepy.

I managed to read a little bit. I decided to read The Little Foxes by Lillian Hellman as my next read. It is a short little play, so it would normally be a perfect choice. I thought I could fly through it on my lunch break, but I only managed to get through 2 Acts. There is only 1 Act left, and it is only about 20 pages, so I should finish it quickly. I'm not sure what will be up after that...maybe Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot? Or maybe I'll suck it up and start Clarissa. Not sure...

Anyway, I best get cracking on some reading. I'm going to call it quits at midnight or 1, so I need to make some progress. :)

Readathon Nonsense Stats (8:57 PM):
# of Pages Read: 429
# of Books Finished:1 (almost done with 2!)
# of Cups of Tea: 2 (no more tea at work, but I had some Gatorade and a lot of water)
# of Kitten Cuddles: 3 (I am sure that snake wanted to cuddle at work)
Random Thoughts: My husband is watching some crappy car show and I find it irritating. I think I am going to read in the bedroom instead. :)

15 comments:

  1. Have fun! And I'm sorry to hear you have to work today. But at least you get to participate for part of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I wish I could take part! Enjoy your reading, and know that I'm a fellow Diet Coke addict. We should launch a self-help group :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun today, and read some for me since I can't join in this time! *\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you with your kitten cuddles! It sounds like you have a nice, relaxing readathon ahead of you. Enjoy that guilty pleasure read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boooo work D: but yay books. Just dropping off a quick cheer for you *\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my 3rd time reading and I feel like I'm still learning how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job finishing your first book! You've already made WAY more progress than me! I got a late start. :D So sorry you have to work today. Have fun, Allie!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a bummer that you have to work, but yay on finishing your first book! I hope you have plenty of time to read yet today and that you enjoy the next bookl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing your first job, Allie! What a bummer you have to work, but I hope after work is successful reading time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing so great! And you finished your first book, that's awesome. I wish I could be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you at work- xxx I hope you're able to get some pages read! Remember two readathons or so ago, when you were sick with pneumonia and STILL READING and hosting at the readathon site? This is a better year, eh? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job so far! I'm glad you're "cheating on Clarissa." I think the read-a-thon is perfect for taking a break from your MUST read list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm quitting soon! Have fun and welcome back to the event, Allie!! My uncle has a pet snake, and so does my cousin. I can't imagine why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh - ha! I see you were just at my place. We must have been visiting each other at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm doing Readathon with Steph from the Fake Steph and Kim from On the Wings of Books, and Kim read Pandemonium a few hours ago, which lead to a great discussion of our thoughts on the ending... which would be great if this was a talkathon and not a readathon. But I'm here to cheer, so here you go:

    You're reading all day
    And reading all night
    I'm cheering you all the way
    Until the morning light!

    ReplyDelete