Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."

I decided to read The Book Thief last week in preparation for World Book Night. I was lucky enough to get my first choice in books to pass out, but since it had been a couple years since I read the novel, I wanted to refresh my memory.

I ended up flying through the book in two nights-all the while reminded of what I loved it so much.

Narrated by Death, The Book Thief tells that story of a young girl, Liesel, in the midst of World War II. And while the book takes place in Germany, and there are the obvious references to the war, Nazis, and Jews, the book is about SO MUCH more than that.

Liesel, while struggling to come to terms with the death of her brother, finds comfort and help in books and words. Her foster father teaches her to read so that she might read the book she stole at her brother's funeral. Once the floodgate of knowledge opens for her, she able to read more and more. She comes to understand the world through the books she reads and the words she loves.

There are scenes where she reads to her neighbors as they wait out bomb raids in a basement. The words she reads, the stories she recites, are the only escape for them as they wait until the all-clear is given. She reads from her books to an older neighbor-the only positive connection that woman has had with her family. She shares her love of language with the Jewish man her family hides in their basement. While different, they form a lasting connection all because of the power of books.

I think this is the perfect book for non-readers. Without preaching, it shows everything there is to love about literature. It captures the escapist quality of a good book, the hope a story can give, and the way that stories can forever live on as part of you. Reading this I was reminded of why I love words, and why I love sharing that passion with all of you here.

You cannot deny the power of words to capture every human emotion.

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”

I was lucky enough to meet Markus Zusak a number of years ago...way back in 2007. I had purchased my copy of The Book Thief almost as soon as it came out. I spotted it on a shelf and grabbed it...all because of the title. I drank it in, the first time I read it, in one long sitting in the booth at the park. I loved it so much that when I saw he was going to be doing a signing, I jumped all over it the following year.

My mom went with me, and I brought all of the books by Zusak I owned (The Book Thief, I am the Messenger, and Getting the Girl). The signing was small-maybe 40-50 people? He spoke for a few minutes about the story-how it was inspired by his parents and their stories. And about his writing process...I remember being really moved by the way he talked about his writing-and the fact that he said he would never rush writing a book until the story felt right.

When I got to talk to him, we chatted for a few minutes about each of the books I brought with me. And he took his time to personalize each of them. I love when authors take the time to do that, and it was worth the longer wait. :)



I cannot wait to share this with some students and others next week when I pass out the copies for World Book Night. It makes the event even more amazing to know that I'll be passing on a book I love so much.

14 comments:

  1. I had been debating rereading this book and your review just made up my mind! I love The Book Thief, both times I have read it I was crying at the end. I didn't cry at my grandmother's funeral but a fictional character in Nazi Germany starts the waterworks -- go figure. Anyway, I have found it so inspiring on the power that words can have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I have also had the opportunity to meet Mr. Zusak and I was astounded by how giving he was and how inspiring it was to listen to his speak. Unlike you, the gathering I attended had hundreds of attendees and Mr. Zusak stayed until past 1 in the morning to sign books. I already loved his work but knowing what a kind person is behind it makes me love it even more! I'm giving this book away for World Book Night too and I am so glad there are more people that will read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA!! I always love when people love one of my favorite books. I'm giving this one away, too, and it's really thrilling for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book, but it's the only one of his that I've read. How did you find the others in comparison?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you treasure that personalized copy! So cool! This is one of my favorite books, and I really need to make time to re-read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tis sounds really good. I never knew what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book so much, and I bawled for half an hour at the end. My husband was wiping tears off my face while I was reading. Haha! I was seriously blubbering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to read this. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm giving this one out Monday too. I remember loving it, but like you I read it a while ago. Thanks for reminding me about what makes is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book. I also kicked myself (literally) for waiting so long to pick it up and give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm seriously jealous right now. I read The Book Thief for the first time in 2007 and adored it. It's still one of my top ten books of all-time. I reread it last year and loved it just as much, if not more. Zusak is one author I've never met, but would go to some serious lengths to meet. From everything I've heard he is kind and friendly and I want to hear him speak about his writing! My sister is a non-reader and I gave this one to her. She never read it, but I keep trying to get her to pick it up. So glad you loved this one too Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book is good, but not Zusak's best. That goes to I Am The Messenger. If you get the chance to read that, I thoroughly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book and cried like a baby at the end. I was reading it on an airplane and had to stop because I was embarrassing myself. I had to save the last chapter to read in private. I haven't read it since but I recommend it all the time.

    ReplyDelete